Civic Commons is an independent nonprofit organization focused on reducing government IT costs by helping government entities share code and best practices. The project is a coordinated effort between Code for America, OpenPlans, and the District of Columbia's Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO).
Federal IT Dashboard
The Federal IT Dashboard was launched in June 2009 as a government transparency initiative. According to US CIO Vivek Kundra, it was "a website where you could track $80 billion of IT spending annually." Initially it was only available to the federal government, which used the dashboard to monitor project effectiveness and decide the allocation of resources. With help from the Civic Commons initiative, the IT dashboard was made freely available to all government entities in March 2011.
Enterprise Addressing System
The Enterprise Addressing System (EAS) is a web-based application introduced by the San Francisco Department of Technology to manage the city's master database of addresses. In response to other jurisdictions' expressed interest in EAS, the city of San Francisco decided to open source the system with help from Civic Commons. In early 2011, Farallon Geographics developed a secure solution for EAS using open source geospatial technology.
Board of Advisors
- Andrew Hoppin, CIO, New York State Senate
- Brian Behlendorf, Director, CollabNet
- Bryan Sivak, CTO, District of Columbia
- Carolyn Lawson, Director, E-Services for the State of California
- Chris Vein, CIO, City of San Francisco
- David Eaves, Adjunct Professor, Centre for Digital Media
- Deborah Bryant, Public Sector Communities Manager, Oregon State University Open Source Lab
- Gunnar Hellekson, Co-Chair, Open Source for America
- Jennifer Pahlka, Founder and Executive Director, Code for America
- Nick Grossman, Director of Civic Works, OpenPlans
- Tim O'Reilly, Founder and CEO, O'Reilly Media
- "Civic Commons - About". Civic Commons. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Civic Commons Launched to Help Government Share Technology and Cut Costs". DC.gov. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- Elizabeth Montalbano. "Federal IT Dashboard goes Mobile". Information Week. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Cost-Saving IT Dashboard Software Now Available to All Levels of Government". Code for America. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Introducing San Francisco's Enterprise Addressing System". Civic Commons. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "San Francisco's Enterprise Addressing System Is Now Open Source!". Civic Commons. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "Case Study: Farallon". OpenGeo. Retrieved 2011-04-26.