Civil Airport Harni
|Civil Airport Harni
સિવિલ એરપોર્ટ હરની
|IATA: BDQ – ICAO: VABO
|Owner/Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||127 ft / 38.7 m|
A domestic airport up till now, Vadodara Airport will become an international airport once the new terminal currently under construction is operational.
The existing domestic terminal at Vadodara Airport is distinct from other airports due to its mix of Gujarati and architectural styles complete with domes on the roof. The terminal is small and cannot handle large numbers of passengers.
To enhance the capacity of the airport as well as to launch international services, it was decided to construct a new Integrated Terminal Building. An international architectural design competition was held to invite designs for the new terminal. Eventually, a design submitted by United States-based consortium Gensler, Frederic Schwartz Architects and Creative Group from India won the competition and the contract to design the new terminal was awarded to them.
The foundation stone for the new terminal was laid on 26 February 2009. Construction work started in May 2011 and is expected to be completed by end of 2013. The new terminal will have an area of 18,120 sq. meters with the ability to handle 700 passengers (500 domestic and 200 international) per hour. It will have 18 check in counters. The AAI has recently constructed a night parking facility at the airport which can park about nine A-320 / Boeing 737-800 aircraft thus reducing the burden at Mumbai and Ahmedabad airport and proving economical for the airlines.
A cargo terminal is also planned for the future. Currently, the airport does not handle cargo.
IAF Station Baroda
In addition to its own state of art MRO facility for HS 748 and AN-32 aircraft at Vadodara, the Indian Air Force has two transport squadrons, operating under No. 36 Wing IAF, South Western Air Command:
- No. 11 Squadron IAF, Charging Rhinos, which operates HS 748 transport aircraft
- No. 25 Squadron IAF, Himalayan Eagles, equipped with AN-32 aircraft. This Squadron moved here from Chandigarh in Sept 2011
Airlines and destinations
|Air India Regional||Delhi|
|IndiGo||Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai|
|Jet Airways||Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai,Tirupati,|
|JetKonnect operated by Jet Airways||Delhi|
Accidents and incidents
On 1 July 1995, an East West Airlines Fokker F-27, registered VT-EWE, was engaged in a training touch and go exercise at Baroda airport when.the aircraft's left main landing gear failed on touchdown. The aircraft continued moving forward on its belly and skid to a halt on the runway. There was no fire and no injury to persons on board the aircraft. Poor maintenance was cited as a contributory factor in the accident. The aircraft was written off. 
- Vadodara Airport new terminal design - Frederic Schwartz Architects
- "Harni Airport to go international soon". The Times of India. 26 February 2009.
- "Himalayan Eagles land in Vadodara". newKerela.com. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Accident Description". Air Safety Network. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Civil Airport Harni (official Airports Authority of India web site)
- Airport information for VABO at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.