Clackamas High School
|Clackamas High School|
|14486 SE 122nd Avenue
Clackamas, Oregon, Clackamas, 97015
|School district||North Clackamas School District|
|Number of students||2213|
|Color(s)||Scarlet and black|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Three Rivers League, 6A|
Clackamas High School (CHS) is a public high school located in Clackamas, Oregon. The school itself was built in 2002, replacing an older, smaller building built in 1957 which is now Alder Creek Middle School, and starting the 2010–2011 school year the campus includes the former building of Sunrise Middle School.
Building and campus
The west Clackamas High School campus lies on 42 acres (17 ha) with a small wetland nearby. The building itself has 265,355 square feet (24,652.3 m2) of floor space and is much larger than the older school. It has four classroom hallways on two floors, a commons area, an arts wing, and an athletic wing, centered on an administrative ring in the middle of the school.
The classroom hallways are on the north end of the school with 100 and 200 halls on the east side, and 300 and 400 halls on the west. The commons area is on the north side of the administrative offices, at the entrance to 100 and 200 halls, and is primarily used for dining and some multi-purpose use. The arts wing of the school is centered on the schools' auditorium and contains rooms for art classes, choir classes, and band classes, as well as a wood shop, a stage shop, and changing and makeup rooms. The athletic wing contains a large gym, a smaller upper gym, locker rooms, a wrestling room, and a weight training room. The administrative ring, located in the center of the school, contains the main office, the bookkeeper's office, the attendance office, the student management office, the schools' career and vocation center, the athletic office, and the counseling office, all centered on a small courtyard.
This building has served as a model for other high schools and has been designated a green building. Clackamas High School was built in 2002 to a design by Portland's Boora Architects and was the first high school in the country to be certified LEED Silver. Clackamas High is also one of the first "solar schools" in Oregon with the installation of 2 kW solar panels on the roof in 2003. The School was also a winner of the DesignShare Recognized Value Award in 2003.
The east campus, formerly Sunrise Middle School, is arranged around one straight main hallway connecting two twin classroom halls on one end with two gyms, a dance studio, and miscellaneous classrooms on the other. The interior was redecorated to feel more like Clackamas High School for the 2010–2011 school year.
As of 2005, 72.5% of 10th grade students at Clackamas High School meet or exceeded overall state standards for learning, compared to 53.5% of the rest of the state. In addition, 6.4% are ESL students and 33% are minorities.
Principal Christina Garcia has been the principal at Clackamas High School since the start of the 2012/13 school year.
Awards and honors
|This section requires expansion. (August 2012)|
The Clackamas Baseball Team won the 2008 6A OSAA state championship, gaining the school's first male major sport championship in school history, defeating Tigard High School 3 to 1. They repeated this feat in 2010 after defeating South Medford High School 4 to 0.
The school's varsity dance team, the Cavalettes, won the 2007, 2008, 2012, and 2013 OSAA state championships in the Show Division.
- Lisa Fletcher – television news journalist
- Lynn Snodgrass – Oregon politician, former Oregon State Speaker of the House and secretary of state Candidate
- Ben Wetzler – baseball player
- DJC.COM: ‘I wish I could go to a school just like this’, provided by Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce Newspaper
- The Oregonian: Oregon schools: It's not easy, or cheap, being green "The district already has an officially certified school. In 2002, North Clackamas High School was the first high school in the nation to achieve a LEED silver certification, according to the U.S. Green Building Council."
- NIKOLE HANNAH-JONES (2006-09-18). "Schools could spark green building boom". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- Archived: Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982–1983 Through 1999–2002 (PDF)
- Detail Report For: – Oregon Department of Education
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Interview with Principal Matt Utterback".
- LISA DANIELS (1997-10-06). "TEACHER'S LATEST HONOR: $25,000". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- Koskela, Gregg. "1985 CHS Speech team". Retrieved 2011-04-26.
Lisa Verch Fletcher '86– Speech Team at Clackamas High School
- Koskela, Gregg (2007-12-01). "Weekly round up". Retrieved 2011-04-26.
Here's proof that long ago, Lisa and I not only were good friends, but debate partners
- "Oregon State Voters Guide". 2000-05-16. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "Baseball: Clackamas' Ben Wetzler chosen 6A player of the year - OregonLive.com". Highschoolsports.oregonlive.com. June 15, 2010. Retrieved February 21, 2014.