Claire Moore (singer)
Claire Moore (2 January 1960, Over Hulton, Bolton) is an English soprano singer and actress, best known for her leading role as Christine in Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera and as Ellen in Miss Saigon.
The daughter of Peggy and Geoff Moore, the latter a jazz musician, she was educated at Hesketh Fletcher School, Atherton, and Leigh Sixth Form College, before operatic training at the Royal Northern College of Music.
She played the role of Christine Daaé in the original cast of The Phantom of the Opera, as alternate Christine to Sarah Brightman performing 3 shows per week. When Sarah left the production after a year, Claire then took the role full-time. She was voted "favourite Christine" by the Phantom Appreciation Society. In 1989 she left the role to play Ellen in the London production of Miss Saigon.
Other work includes appearing alongside Richard Harris in the 1982 London production of Camelot; playing the lead role of Audrey in the 1983–85 Comedy Theatre production of Little Shop of Horrors; Mrs Anna (as alternate for Elaine Paige) in the London Palladium production of The King and I 2000–2001; Madame Thenardier in Les Misérables; and in the musicals of Bernard J. Taylor.
Apart from musicals, her work also includes opera, and acting roles with the McKellen/Petherbridge Company's Royal National Theatre productions of The Duchess of Malfi, The Critic, The Real Inspector Hound and The Cherry Orchard.
She also features on album recordings including the original cast album of Miss Saigon, The Phantom of the Opera – Highlights, Cabaret, Oliver! and Les Misérables, as well as The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, Leading Ladies and two solo albums of songs by Bernard J Taylor.
Living and working in London, she returns regularly to perform at her home town at events such as Bolton Choral Union concerts.
She was seen in April and May 2008 as a vocal coach on BBC TV's I'd Do Anything, a role she previously undertook in How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? (2006) and Any Dream Will Do (2007). Claire reprised her role as vocal coach for Over the Rainbow in 2010. She is currently appearing in the Royal National Theatre Production 'London Road' at the Cottesloe Theatre.
She was due to return to the London production of The Phantom of the Opera (1986 musical) in September 2013, this time to play Carlotta Guidicelli, but her run was postponed due to injury. Lara Martins will continue as Carlotta until she has healed.
- Pirate who became a star of the Opera, This is Bolton, orig. Bolton Evening News, 7 November 1992
- Review: An Evening with Claire Moore, the Deane School, Bolton, Lancashire County Publications, 29 June 1998
- Claire's centre stage in 'King', Lancashire County Publications, 8 September 2000
- The Big Interview: Claire Moore and Barry James, Matthew Amer, London Theatre Guide, 6 October 2005
- Larkin, Colin; John Martland (1999). The Virgin Encyclopedia of Stage and Film Musicals. London: Virgin in association with Muze UK Ltd. ISBN 0-7535-0375-1.
- Sir Ian McKellen Official Home Page
- Home town girl who keeps her feet on the ground, Lancashire County Publications, 2 June 2000
- Join Claire for songs from the shows, Lancashire County Publications, 8 October 2003
-  BBC – I'd do anything – Coaching Nancys