|Claire Perry MP|
|Perry (left) in 2012|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Michael Ancram|
3 April 1964 |
|Spouse(s)||Clayton Perry (separated)|
|Children||two daughters, one son|
|Alma mater||Brasenose College, Oxford,
|Occupation||MP for Devizes|
The youngest of three children, Perry was raised in North Somerset. Perry was educated at Nailsea School and Brasenose College, Oxford, where she read Geography, graduating in 1985. She later obtained an MBA at Harvard University.
In June 2011, Perry presented a Private Members' Bill to Parliament calling for the Monday after Remembrance Sunday to be made a bank holiday. The Bill passed its first reading and was due to be debated again on 20 January 2012 but Perry withdrew the bill on 10 January.
In October 2011 Perry was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Philip Hammond, the Secretary of State for Defence. Perry held this role until October 2013 when she assumed her new position as Government Assistant Whip.
Perry is in favour of a form of Internet censorship which will apply to all users unless they opt out of it. She considers that children should thereby be prevented from obtaining access to information and images which she believes they should not see. Perry is in favour of improvements in internet content filters that give people an unavoidable choice about whether to install filters on their home networks. She advises the Prime Minister on the prevention of the sexualisation and commercialisation of childhood.
In July 2013, Perry's website was targeted by hackers, who "placed indecent images on the site". Perry used her official Twitter account to make accusations that the political blogger Guido Fawkes had sponsored the attack, while Staines himself threatened to sue her for libel if the claim was not removed.
-  at news.bbc.co.uk
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Tim Walker (21 March 2013). "'Cameron cutie' Claire Perry gives up on 'difficult' marriage". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Lewis Cowen (21 March 2013). "Devizes MP Claire Perry reveals that her marriage is over". Wiltshire Gazette & Herald. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- LIST OF MEMBERS RETURNED TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT AT THE GENERAL ELECTION 2010
-  at claireperry.org.uk
- Paul Barltrop, Claire Perry chosen for Devizes at news.bbc.co.uk
- ANNOUNCEMENT - PPC FOR THE DEVIZES CONSTITUENCY at devizesconservatives.com
- Hope, Christopher (15 June 2011). "Day after Remembrance Sunday should be a Bank Holiday, MPs suggest". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Parliament UK: Remembrance Day (Bank Holiday) Bill 2010-11". Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "About Claire | Claire's Biography". Claire Perry. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Internet Pornography: 23 Nov 2010: House of Commons debates". TheyWorkForYou. 23 November 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Caroline Davies "Broadband firms urged to block sex websites to protect children", The Guardian, 19 December 2010
- "MP calls for pornography 'opt-in' to protect children", BBC News, 23 November 2010
- "Net block MP Claire Perry in spat over porn hack", BBC News, 24 July 2013
- Doctorow C Technologically illiterate MP who masterminded UK porn blocker gets hacked, threatens reporter for writing about it, boing boing, 24 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Josh Halliday "Guido Fawkes blogger threatens to sue Tory MP over hacking accusation", guardian.co.uk, 24 July 2013
- Claire Perry MP official constituency website
- Claire Perry MP Conservative Party profile
- Devizes Conservatives
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Claire Perry selected to fight Devizes, ConservativeHome, November 2009
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Devizes