Clapham Common tube station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
The station entrance
Location of Clapham Common in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Lambeth|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1900||Opened as terminus (C&SLR)|
|1926||Became through station|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
The station is at the eastern tip of Clapham Common and was opened in June 1900 as the new southern terminus of the City & South London Railway, which was extended from Stockwell. It remained the terminus until the Morden extension was opened in 1926. Apart from a small domed entrance building on the tip of the narrow triangular island formed by The Pavement and Clapham Common South Side, the station is entirely underground.
A curved steel and glass pavilion was built on the south-east end of Clapham Common South Side by architects firm Aukett Fitzroy Robinson. This links to the below-ground ticket hall via a pedestrian tunnel under the road.
Clapham Common is one of two remaining deep-level stations on the underground that has an island platform in tunnel serving both the northbound and southbound lines, the other being Clapham North. Because of safety worries there are plans to replace them.
Clapham Common is one of eight London Underground stations that have a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath them. Both entrances to the shelter are north of the station on Clapham High Street.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2008". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Clapham Common Station". Aukett Fitzroy Robinson. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clapham Common tube station.|
- London's Transport Museum Photographic Archive Station in 1925
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|