Clara Chung performing at UC San Diego as part of her LovePrint tour
|Birth name||Clara Chung|
|Born||October 31, 1987|
|Origin||New York, U.S.|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, keyboard|
Clara Chung, known by her stage name Clara C, is an American guitarist and singer.
Chung is a YouTube artist who rose to fame when she won Los Angeles’ Kollaboration 10, KAC Media Juice Night, and ISA 2009.
Early life and education
Chung graduated from the University of California, Irvine with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and a minor in Education in 2010. Although she is currently pursuing music full-time, she also works and teaches children with autism part-time.
In a 2011 interview after the release of her first album, Chung said that she initially was not particularly motivated to post videos of her singing and guitar playing on YouTube, but was encouraged by her friends to try it out. It turned out to be a good thing, and now Chung posts music videos to offer a different version of a song or "launch her own stuff". Chung describes the music in her album, The Art in My Heart, as being diverse and "taking on a lot of different sounds." "There are songs that are very much like Sara Bareilles and others that are more like Coldplay. And there are other songs that I can’t categorize. I guess if you want to sum up influences, I’d say definitely Sara Bareilles, John Mayer, Feist. I try to take the best of all these artists that I really admire and somehow incorporate them in my music."
In September 2010, she released her album Art in My Heart in conjunction with her music video for the lead single "Offbeat". The video for "Offbeat" was directed by viral video director Ross Ching (of Kina Grannis' "Valentine" music video fame) and produced by Don Le of Fusion3Films. The concept for the video was Chung singing amongst inspiring visuals in a world filled with bubbles. It has amassed over 13,000,000 unique YouTube views so far. DJ Descry and My Parasol have produced the only known remixes to date. In 2011, director Ross Ching and producer Don Le followed up with a second music video, "The Camel Song". The video featured YouTube personality, Nigahiga, as her love interest.
In February 2011, Chung announced her Loveprint mini-tour (March–April) in which she makes stops in Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle and San Diego.
On June 6, 2011 on an interview with Robert Herrera of Front Row Live Entertainment, Chung stated that she is currently writing a new album.
On September 15, Chung released her 2nd Album titled esc.
On September 30, Chung released her acoustic album Organika, and in October toured the United States and Canada, visiting 14 cities. This tour was an acoustic tour that is based off her album Organika.
|The Art in My Heart
|Organika (An Acoustic Album)
- "POPSEOUL! Spotlight presents Clara Chung |". Popseoul.com. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Chang, Richard (29 October 2010). "Singer Clara C. is a YouTube sensation". Orange County Register. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "The Art in My Heart: an interview with Clara Chung". Asia Pacific Arts. 2010-07-16.
- Mizobe, Eri (11 February 2011). "Clara Chung, a YouTube Star On the Rise". Ethos. University of Oregon. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "NEWS: Jay Park, Kobe Shin, and Dumbfoundead And Clara Chung To Release a Song Tomorrow". Soompi. 22 April 2010. Archived from the original on 27 April 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "Clara Chung announces her new mini-tour". Asia Pacific Arts. 02/08/2011. Check date values in:
- "Clara C Interview w/ Robert Herrera". Clara C Interview w/ Robert Herrera. Front Row Live Ent. Retrieved 11 June 2011.