|Nickname(s): Gateway to the North|
Location of Clare, Michigan
|• Total||3.50 sq mi (9.06 km2)|
|• Land||3.39 sq mi (8.78 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.28 km2)|
|Elevation||837 ft (255 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||3,105|
|• Density||919.8/sq mi (355.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0623335|
Clare is a city in Clare and Isabella counties in the U.S. state of Michigan. Located primarily in Clare County, the population was 3,118 at the 2010 census. North-south U.S. Highway 127 (US 127) forms the eastern boundary for much of the city and has a junction with east-west US 10 on the east side of the city. US 10 connects with Midland, 33 miles (53 km) to the southeast, and with US 131 at Reed City, 44 miles (71 km) to the west. US 127 connects with Mount Pleasant, 13 miles (21 km) to the south, and with Harrison, 14 miles (23 km) to the north. The southern terminus of M-115 is in downtown Clare.
Clare was founded with the coming of the Pere Marquette railroad in 1870. It was incorporated as a village in 1871 and as a city in 1891.
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $67,299, and the median income for a family was $86,194. Males had a median income of $88,365 versus $59,861 for females. The per capita income for the city was $68,006. About 10.6% of families and 16.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.3% of those under age 18 and 13.3% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,118 people, 1,354 households, and 764 families residing in the city. The population density was 919.8 inhabitants per square mile (355.1/km2). There were 1,534 housing units at an average density of 452.5 per square mile (174.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 85.0% White, 4.7% African American, 0.9% Native American, 6.1% Asian, 1.5% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.5% of the population.
There were 1,354 households of which 31.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.0% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.6% were non-families. 36.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.88.
The median age in the city was 36.1 years. 23.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 11.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.3% were from 25 to 44; 22.9% were from 45 to 64; and 16.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 45.2% male and 54.8% female.
- Ennis, Ireland since 1986
- Nakhodka, Russia since 1997
- Nantong, China since 2005
- Surulere, Nigeria since 2009
- Ipoh, Malaysia since 2010
- Dharavi, India since 2011
- Fred C. Reger, Wisconsin State Assemblyman
- Debbie Stabenow, U.S. Senator, Michigan
- Wayne Terwilliger, major league infielder and coach
- US 10
- US 127
BUS US 10 is a loop route through downtown Clare.
BUS US 127 is a loop route through downtown Clare.
- Public dial-a-ride service bus service is provided by the Clare County Transit Corporation for all of Clare County.
- Indian Trails provides daily intercity bus service between St. Ignace and East Lansing, Michigan.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Clare has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clare, Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 117
- "EAST LANSING-PETOSKEY-ST. IGNACE". Indian Trails. January 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Climate Summary for Clare, Michigan
- The Official Clare County Business Association
- Clare Chamber of Commerce website
- City of Clare
- Clare Public Schools
- Clare County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Clare Sentinel Newspaper Online via Clarke Historical Library and Central Michigan University[dead link]