15 September 1987 |
|Genres||Pop, Alternative, Soul|
|Labels||Polydor, Universal Republic Republic|
|Associated acts||The Streets, Chase & Status|
Clare Rita Mary Maguire (born 15 September 1987) is a British singer-songwriter. She was signed to Universal Music Group Polydor Records in 2008. She was rated in fifth place in the BBC Sound of 2011 list of the top 15 most promising new artists. Maguire was also singled out as one of MTV's Brand New: For 2011 Acts. Her voice has been compared to Stevie Nicks and Annie Lennox. Maguire's debut album, Light After Dark, was released on 28 February 2011 peaking at number seven in the Official UK Top 40, and spanning three single releases including "The Last Dance" and "The Shield and the Sword".
Throughout 2012, Maguire stated that she was working on her second studio album. It was announced in January 2013 that an EP would be released before the album.
Career beginnings 
When she was 17, Maguire began travelling regularly to London to establish music contacts and also began posting demo songs on MySpace. One of these tracks, "Strangest Thing", recorded with Joe Flory (Primary 1) approached 500,000 plays, leading to interest from a number of major recording companies. Maguire was also invited to Jay-Z's restaurant to meet the American rapper and millionaire businessman and other well established recording artists, including Jarvis Cocker, who was impressed and offered her one of his songs. Maguire signed a recording contract with Polydor Records in 2008 and then worked on her debut album Light After Dark with producer Fraser T Smith, who has previously worked with Kylie Minogue and Adele.
2009–11: Light After Dark, commercial success and touring 
Maguire began a European concert tour in October 2010 supporting Plan B and Hurts. She has also written a song with fellow Birmingham rap artist Mike Skinner entitled "Lock the Locks" which features on his last Streets album, Computers and Blues. Maguire also features on the track "Midnight Caller" which appears on Drum and Bass-duo Chase & Status' second studio album, No More Idols.
Maguire released her debut single "Ain't Nobody" in the United Kingdom on 18 October 2010 through Polydor Records, where it debuted at number 78 on the UK Singles Chart. A remix of the song was used in Renault's 2011 Clio commercial entitled "What is Va Va Voom?". Maguire's song "You're Electric" was selected as the iTunes single of the week and was available for a free digital download from 28 December until 3 January 2011. The song also appears on Light After Dark, but was released as part of an iTunes-exclusive EP entitled Let's Begin. In March 2011, Maguire began supporting The Script on their UK tour.
On 31 December 2010, the song "Lucky" appeared as another free promotional download on Amazon. She then released her second official single, "The Last Dance". The single was said to have been written by Maguire the day after the death of music legend Michael Jackson in response to a series of unjustified comments. The official video that accompanied the single was first premiered by The Sun on 7 January 2011 and was directed by AlexandLiane. The song was 4Music and TheBox's 'VIP Track of the week' and was also 'Record Of The Week' for BBC Radio 1 DJs Fearne Cotton and Dev. BBC Radio 1 added the song to the B-List on its playlist.
Maguire has also been connected to several known figures in music, stating herself and Jay-Z met in a restaurant one time. Florence Welch from 'Florence and the Machine' has also given personal advice to the rising star and has also been pictured with Marina & the Diamonds and Ellie Goulding.
Light After Dark went in at Number 7 in the official UK top 100 album chart (refer to previous link). The album was released on 20 February 2011. The last single to be released off the album was "The Shield and the Sword". It peaked at #91 on the UK Music charts.
2011-present: Second EP, Second Studio Album and departure from Universal Republic Records 
During 2011, Maguire has been working with various songwriters and producers for the second album. During her debut headline tour, she premiered a new song titled "Mess You Around". She has also premiered two new songs during festivals over the summer of 2011, titled "A Change In Me" and "Lights Out". Maguire has described the second record as more of a "bluesy/soul record" with influences from Johnny Cash among others.
She features on Welsh DJ, High Contrast's song "Almost Human" taken from his upcoming album. It is a different direction for Maguire, portraying a more drum and bass sound.
In an interview in March 2012, Maguire said of the new record, "With this album I’ve taken a lot of inspiration through my own experiences and people I’ve met. It’s edgy and raw which suits my voice. It’s honest and quite funny as well. There wasn’t any humour in my first record and that annoyed me because I like to be around people who make me laugh. In terms of genre, I guess it comes under soul." It was also stated in this interview that the album is set for release in January 2013.
Returning to social networking sites, Maguire announced that she has been recording new material for the second record in Nashville. She also announced that new music will come "soon".
In mid-2012 it was announced that Universal Republic Records was going defunct, all artists including Maguire moved from the label to Republic Records making the label itself revived, since this happened, Maguire will still release her future materials through this label in the States.
On the 24th January 2013, Maguire released a new song demo called 'Happy Anniversary' on her personal Soundcloud account. While posting the link on her Facebook page, Maguire stated "I thought I'd share this demo with you. This song was written after spending an evening with my ex, what was supposed to be a special occasion turned out to be a giant hazy dose of our morbid reality... love.x (sic)".
On the 30th January 2013, Maguire posted a Tweet to her personal Twitter account which read "EP coming soon... (sic)" - When asked how soon it would be revealed, Maguire replied "very", and further confirming a 2013 tour. It is thought to have been believed that Maguire's next musical release, (from observing her twitter account), that she will tackle 2013 with a more "old-school" Nashville sound. Returning to music after her debut album, she feels happier and more fulfillment from the progress on her future musical releases.
On 26th March 2013, electronic DJ Burns uploaded a 2 minute clip to his sound cloud account titled 'Limitless' which features Maguire's vocals, the track will be released as an EP on 12th May 2013. On 27th March, Mike Skinner of The Streets revealed in a blog post he has been working with Maguire in the studios for "the past couple of days" and that they are hoping to release a hip hop blues album if Maguire's label allows her to.
Personal life 
Born in Solihull, on 15 September 1987, Maguire comes from a large musical Irish family, the middle child of three born to Caroline (née Deehan) and Francis Maguire Sr. and started singing and writing music from the age of 7. She went to school at the independent all-girls school, Saint Martin's. She includes among her significant influences Johnny Cash, Prince, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the pioneering 1940s gospel singer, songwriter and recording artist who popularised mixing spiritual lyrics with rock and roll accompaniment.
Awards and nominations 
|2010||BBC Sound of 2011||Clare Maguire||Sound of 2011||Nominated
|MTV Brand New||Clare Maguire||New for 2011||Nominated|
|Q Awards||Clare Maguire||Next Big Thing||Won|
|2011||Glamour Women Of The Year Awards||Clare Maguire||UK Solo Artist/Musician||Nominated|
|PANDORA Breakthrough Artist||Nominated|
- Clare Maguire signs to Universal Republic Records, Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- "Sound of 2011 Clare Maguire". BBC. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- "MTV Clare Maguire". MTV. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "One To Watch : Clare Maguire". Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Lester, Paul (2010-10-13). "New Band of the day: Clare Maguire". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Cochrane, Greg. "Introducing…Clare Maguire". BBC Newsbeat. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Tour dates". Clare Maguire. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Sullivan, Caroline (2010-12-23). "Clare Maguire, Katy B and the Pierces: pop's new queens in waiting". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- TV Ad Music » Renault Clio – What Is Va Va Voom?
- "You're Electric – Single of the Week". iTunes. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Clare Maguire - Last Dance. thesun.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- "Clare Maguire now with Republic Records". Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2011/01/12/ birmingham-singer-clare-maguire-named-star-of-2011-97319-27970199/
- Clare Maguire set to be a 2011 star with her electro-pop - mirror.co.uk
- "Clare Maguire". Last FM. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- s_cid=294&source=google_adwords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=294&gclid=CPypzvqTlqYCFQ1O4Qod00_DZw "Clare Maguire". MTV. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Sister Rosetta Tharpe". Livin Blues. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Clare Maguire announces UK and Ireland tour – ticket details | News | NME.COM
- "Clare Maguire Performs at Pride Bristol 2011". Pride Bristol. 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Youngs, Ian. (2010-12-06) BBC News – BBC Sound of 2011: Clare Maguire. Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- MTV's Brand New: For 2011 Acts Announced! | Brand New For 2011 | News | MTV UK. Mtv.co.uk (2010-11-30). Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- "Q Awards 2010: Winners List And Photos". 2010-10-25. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Official website
- Clare Maguire's BBC Sound of 2011 page at BBC Online
- Clare Maguire interview in the Virgin Red Room