Clare Oliver (25 August 1981 – 13 September 2007) was an Australian woman whose own health crisis prompted her to become an activist, garnering wide media coverage for her campaign to rise awareness about the risks of using solariums excessively. She had wanted to become a journalist and wrote a story before her death that was published in newspapers all over the country. Oliver's melanoma was first discovered as part of a health check-up shortly after she had been employed by SBS Television upon completion of a media degree. She went to Presentation College Windsor in her high school years.
Clare didn't blame her melanoma on solarium use, but admits that excessive tanning at the beach contributed to her cancer. She believed that the government doesn't realize the dangers of solariums, and that young people need to be educated about the dangers of solariums before making any decisions regarding their use.
Oliver was diagnosed at the age of 21. She gained publicity on 22 August 2007 by announcing in an open letter that she only had days to live due to melanoma and stating her goal was to reach her 26th birthday. She did, and celebrated at Luna Park in St Kilda, Victoria. Oliver died less than three weeks later, on 13 September at the Caritas Christi Hospice in Kew.
The Australian government has since made previously voluntary code practices mandatory in the use of tanning beds in Australia. The Victorian government introduced new legislation in February 2009 to tighten the control of solariums and prohibit people aged under 18 from using them.
- Sun Safe Summer.
- Tributes pour in as Clare's message rolls out, The Age September 14, 2007.
- A tan to die for, The Herald Sun, 23 August 2007.
- Cancer campaigner Clare Oliver dies, The Age, 13 September 2007.
- Solarium skin cancer victim Clare Oliver dies, The Herald Sun, 13 September 2007.
- Crackdown on tanning salons, The Herald Sun, 23 August 2007.
- Brave Clare gets a boost, The Herald Sun, 24 August 2007.
- Clare's dying wish to come true
- Victoriaonline: New solarium regulations for Victoria
- Clare Oliver Melanoma Fund
- ABC 7.30 Report video: 'The Dangers of a Deadly Tan' on YouTube, 21 August 2007. This was Clare's first public warning on the dangers of solarium use.
- ABC Extended Interview with Clare Oliver