Claremont, North Carolina
|Claremont, North Carolina|
Location of Claremont, North Carolina
|• Total||2.7 sq mi (7.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (7.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||497/sq mi (191.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1019681|
Claremont is located east of the center of Catawba County at  U.S. Route 70 passes through the center of town, leading west 4 miles (6 km) to Conover and east 4 miles (6 km) to Catawba. Interstate 40 passes just north of the town, with access from Exit 135. I-40 leads west 12 miles (19 km) to Hickory and east 16 miles (26 km) to Statesville.(35.713752, -81.150661).
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,355 people, 456 households, and 300 families residing in the city. The population density was 542.0 people per square mile (159.7/km²). There were 492 housing units at an average density of 196.3 per square mile (75.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.66% White, 2.22% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.87% Asian, 0.67% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.99% of the population.
There were 456 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.3% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 28.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.2% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,652, and the median income for a family was $49,886. Males had a median income of $30,543 versus $22,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,097. About 5.3% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.8% of those under age 18 and 15.3% of those age 65 or over.
- The Claremont Courier, free monthly publication
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Claremont city, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.