|Location||Claremont, Western Australia|
|Owner||Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia|
|Operator||Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia|
|Capacity||40,000 (Big Day Out 2011)|
|Big Day Out (2002-2011, 2013)
Perth Royal Show
Claremont-Cottesloe Football Club (1926)
Supanova Pop Culture Expo
Claremont Football Club (2014–)
The Claremont Showgrounds are home to the annual Perth Royal Show. In 1902, 32 acres of land were reserved in the Perth suburb of Claremont for new showgrounds to replace the Guildford Showgrounds. The Royal Agricultural Show, of three days, was first held there in October and November, 1905.
The Claremont Showgrounds are serviced by a special events railway station on the Fremantle line. Opened on 20 September 1995, it has direct connection with the showgrounds. The original Showgrounds Station, opened in 1954, was located 350 metres further east with platforms on either side of the line, and required negotiating road crossings to access the showgrounds.
The Showgrounds have in the past been regularly used for WAFL football matches. Perth won its first premiership against East Fremantle there in 1907. They were the original home of Claremont-Cottesloe Football Club in its first year in the WAFL before moving to Claremont Oval in 1927. On 19 March 2005, the venue was used to host a one-off WAFL match between Claremont and West Perth, with Claremont winning in front of 7,812 spectators. Due to a redevelopment occurring at Claremont Oval, Claremont will use the Showgrounds as a home ground in 2014 and 2015.
- See also:Claremont Speedway
From 1927 the 550 metres (600 yd) Claremont Speedway operated on a track around the edge of the main oval of the showgrounds. Its size saw it the largest speedway in weekly operation in a state capital in Australia.
- RAS history
- The Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia (31 Mar 2011). "Annual Report 2011" (pdf). Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Vigilans et Audax" (3 Nov 1905). "The West Australian". The West Australian. p. 4. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- State reference library images of exhibits at the 1929 royal show
- Charlton, Eric (20 Sep 1995). "Claremont Showgrounds Railway Station opened". Ministerial Media Statements (Government of Western Australia). Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "Wing" (23 Aug 1945). "Australian Rules Football - Further facts about early days". The Western Mail. p. 47. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Lewis, Tracey (5 April 2014). "Tigers and Lions go hunting in neutral territory". Football Budget. West Australian Football Commission. pp. 4–5. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Cooper,William., Moore, Garrick and Michael White.(2004) Adversity and achievement : a history of the Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia Claremont, W.A.: The Society. ISBN 0-646-43969-3