Clarion University of Pennsylvania

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Clarion University of Pennsylvania
Clarion University seal.png
Established 1867
Type Public
Endowment US$10,386,829
President Karen Whitney
Provost Ron Nowaczyk
Academic staff 387
Undergraduates 5,895
Postgraduates 1,096
Location Clarion, PA, USA
Campus Rural on 128 acres
Nickname Golden Eagles
Website www.clarion.edu
Clarion University logo.png

Clarion University of Pennsylvania is a public university located in Clarion, Pennsylvania. It is one of fourteen universities who are part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). The school was founded in 1867 and offers associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees and post master's certificates.[1]

Student body[edit]

In Fall 2011, Clarion University's student body totaled 6,991 students, of which 5,895 were undergraduates and 1,096 of those were graduate students. The university's students are mostly female (65%). 96% of students come from the state of Pennsylvania while the remaining 4% come from 45 other states and 31 other countries.[1]

Other locations[edit]

The university maintains a regional college, Venango College of Clarion University in Oil City, and a site in Pittsburgh at West Penn Hospital. The Department of Library Science also offers the Master of Library Science degree through face-to-face courses in Philadelphia, at the Free Library's Main branch and other locations. Clarion also offers an extended studies program featuring online courses, remote sites, and various hybrid learning situations. Clarion's online program is ranked as one of the best among online programs in the United States according to U.S. News & World Report and Guide to Online Schools' 2013 Online College Rankings.[2][3]

Academics[edit]

Colleges and Schools[edit]

College of Arts and Sciences[edit]

The College of Arts and Sciences offers 54 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Departments within the College of Arts and Sciences include:

College of Business Administration[edit]

The College of Business Administration offers 12 different undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Departments within the College of Business Administration include:

College of Education and Human Services[edit]

The College of Education and Human Services offers a wide variety of graduate and undergraduate degrees as well as several different certifications. There are multiple online degrees and certifications available as well. Departments within the College of Education and Human Services include:

School of Nursing and Allied Health[edit]

The School of Nursing and Allied Health offers seven different degrees and other certifications. Departments within the School of Nursing and Allied Health include:

University Housing[edit]

Off-campus[edit]

On Campus[edit]

Student groups[edit]

A list of all student organizations can be found on the Office of Campus Life website for Clarion University.

Notable alumni[edit]

Athletics[edit]

The Clarion University Department of Athletics currently sponsors Men's Intercollegiate Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Football, Swimming & Diving, and Wrestling along with Women's Intercollegiate Basketball, Softball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Track, Volleyball and Tennis. All sports compete in the NCAA Division II, except for Wrestling which participates in NCAA Division I. The athletic director is Dave Katis, and the assistant athletic director is Wendy Snodgrass.

Notable former Golden Eagles include Kurt Angle National Wrestling Champion and Olympic Wrestler; former UFC Champion Frankie Edgar who was a four-time Division I NCAA Qualifier; Reggie Wells, NFL offensive lineman; and Cy Young winner Pete Vukovich. More information on the Golden Eagle athletic teams including schedules, stories, rosters and statistics can be found at the Clarion Eagles website.

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b Oram, Fern, A, ed. (2006) [1986]. Peterson's Colleges in the Middle Atlantic States. Peterson's. ISBN 978-0-7689-2421-3. Retrieved 2008-03-03. 
  2. ^ "Virtual Campus/Online Programs". Retrieved 15 April 2013. 
  3. ^ "2013 Online College Rankings". Guide To Online Schools. Retrieved 15 April 2013. 
  4. ^ Feitl, Steve. "BACK TO HIS ROOTS: Frank Edgar part of fight card in UFC's return to New Jersey", Home News Tribune, November 15, 2007. Accessed December 28, 2007. "After an accomplished wrestling career — one that saw him place twice at states while at Toms River High School East and qualify for nationals all four years as an All-American at Clarion University in Pennsylvania — Edgar chose to train for the combat sport that merges numerous disciplines from wrestling to jiu-jitsu to kickboxing."
  5. ^ "Frankie Edgar UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014. 
  • Clarion University News, August 24, 2005.

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 41°12′32″N 79°22′41″W / 41.209°N 79.378°W / 41.209; -79.378