Clarion University of Pennsylvania
|Clarion University of Pennsylvania|
|Location||Clarion, PA, USA|
|Campus||Rural on 128 acres|
- 1 Student body
- 2 Other locations
- 3 Academics
- 4 University Housing
- 5 Student groups
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Athletics
- 8 References
- 9 External links
In Fall 2011, Clarion University's student body totaled 6,991 students, of which 5,895 were undergraduates and 1,096 of those were graduate students. The university's students are mostly female (65%). 96% of students come from the state of Pennsylvania while the remaining 4% come from 45 other states and 31 other countries.
The university maintains a regional college, Venango College of Clarion University in Oil City, and a site in Pittsburgh at West Penn Hospital. The Department of Library Science also offers the Master of Library Science degree through face-to-face courses in Philadelphia, at the Free Library's Main branch and other locations. Clarion also offers an extended studies program featuring online courses, remote sites, and various hybrid learning situations. Clarion's online program is ranked as one of the best among online programs in the United States according to U.S. News and World Report and Guide to Online Schools' 2013 Online College Rankings.
Colleges and Schools
College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences offers 54 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Departments within the College of Arts and Sciences include:
College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration offers 12 different undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Departments within the College of Business Administration include:
College of Education and Human Services
The College of Education and Human Services offers a wide variety of graduate and undergraduate degrees as well as several different certifications. There are multiple online degrees and certifications available as well. Departments within the College of Education and Human Services include:
School of Nursing and Allied Health
The School of Nursing and Allied Health offers seven different degrees and other certifications. Departments within the School of Nursing and Allied Health include:
- Nair Hall & Wilkinson Hall - traditional residence halls, coed by wing
- Givan Hall - traditional residence hall, female only
- Ballentine Hall - traditional residence hall, male only
- Valley View & Campus View - new suite-style living, coed by room
- American Civil Liberties Union of Clarion
- AMA (American Marketing Association)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Black Student Union
- Campus Crusade for Christ
- Clarion Call, The (College Newspaper)
- Clarion College Conservatives
- Clarion College Republicans
- Clarion Men's Volleyball Club
- Clarion Men's Rugby
- Clarion University Student Athletic Training Club
- Clarion Women's Rugby
- Clarion University Theatre
- Dance Marathon
- Clarion Young Democrats
- Eagle Ambassadors
- Golden Eagle Marching Band
- InterHall Council
- Mystics Cove Pagan Network
- English Club
- Lift Every Voice Gospel Choir
- Photography Club
- Political Science Association
- Relay For Life
- Sigma Tau Delta
- Society for Advancement of Management
- Speech and Debate Team
- Society of Physics Students
- Student Senate
- Students for Life
- Ultimate Frisbee Club
- University Activities Board (Handles campus events, concerts, and trips)
- CU-TV "The Nest" (Campus/Community TV Station; broadcasting 5+ days a week of news, sports, educational, public affairs and informational programming.)
- WCUC (College Radio Station)
- Clarion Technology Floor (Provides the means to a better campus through the development of applications)
A list of all student organizations can be found on the Office of Campus Life website for Clarion University.
- Kurt Angle, 1996 Summer Olympics wrestling gold medalist, TNA Wrestling superstar and former World Wrestling Entertainment Wrestler
- John Calipari, NBA and college basketball coach, at University of Kentucky beginning in 2009
- Frank Edgar (1981-), mixed martial arts fighter and former UFC Lightweight Champion.
- Evan John Jones (1872-1952), U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania (1919-1923)
- Mike Miller, Arizona Cardinals Offensive Coordinator
- Larry Richert, host of the KDKA Morning News
- Pete Vukovich, former professional baseball player and Cy Young Award winner
- Reggie Wells, San Diego Chargers offensive lineman
- Guy Conti, New York Mets pitching rehab coordinator
- Wade Schalles, all time record holder for most pins and most wins in amateur wrestling, inventor of the spladle and cement mixer.
- Rad Martinez, mixed martial arts fighter for Bellator Fighting Championships and featured on ESPN's Outside the Lines
The Clarion University Department of Athletics currently sponsors Men's Intercollegiate Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Football, Swimming & Diving, and Wrestling along with Women's Intercollegiate Basketball, Softball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Track, Volleyball and Tennis. All sports compete in the NCAA Division II, except for Wrestling which participates in NCAA Division I. The athletic director is Dave Katis, and the assistant athletic director is Wendy Snodgrass.
Notable former Golden Eagles include Kurt Angle, Olympic Wrestler; former UFC Champion Frankie Edgar, four-time Division I National Qualifier; Reggie Wells, NFL offensive lineman; and Cy Young winner Pete Vukovich. More information on the Golden Eagle athletic teams including schedules, stories, rosters and statistics can be found at the Clarion Eagles website.
- Oram, Fern, A, ed. (2006) . Peterson's Colleges in the Middle Atlantic States. Peterson's. ISBN 978-0-7689-2421-3. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- "Virtual Campus/Online Programs". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "2013 Online College Rankings". Guide To Online Schools. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Feitl, Steve. "BACK TO HIS ROOTS: Frank Edgar part of fight card in UFC's return to New Jersey", Home News Tribune, November 15, 2007. Accessed December 28, 2007. "After an accomplished wrestling career — one that saw him place twice at states while at Toms River High School East and qualify for nationals all four years as an All-American at Clarion University in Pennsylvania — Edgar chose to train for the combat sport that merges numerous disciplines from wrestling to jiu-jitsu to kickboxing."
- Clarion University News, August 24, 2005.
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania website
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania Athletics website
- Clarion University's Venango Campus website
- Clarion University Football Heroes Program Support Website
- Clarion University Alumni Association website
- Clarion Autumn Leaf Festival
- Clarion University Distinguished Alumni Association Awards