|Headquarters||Knowsley, Liverpool, England, UK|
|Area served||UK, Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand, India, Nigeria, Tunisia, Algeria, Bangladesh, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique|
|Products||GE Power & Water's Jenbacher gas engines, Power, cogeneration and trigeneration plants|
|Services||Gas engine maintenance, engineering, project management|
Clarke Energy is a privately owned multinational company specialising in the sale, engineering, installation and maintenance of power plants that use gas engines. Clarke Energy is an independent company with its head offices located in Knowsley, Liverpool and is an authorised distributor and service partner for GE Power & Water's  Jenbacher gas engine. Clarke Energy has over 900 staff in eleven countries worldwide including Algeria, Australia, Bangladesh, France, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Tanzania, Tunisia, South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique. The company maintains a portfolio of applications for both low-carbon power and renewable energy generation.
Applications and projects
The GE Jenbacher gas engine can be used in various gas-to-power applications including natural gas combined heat and power (CHP) / cogeneration, biogas, landfill gas, coal mine methane, synthetic gas, wood gas and associated petroleum gas. In the UK Clarke Energy is a leading supplier of landfill gas generation equipment, in Australia for Coal Mine gas engines and in France for natural gas cogeneration units. The company has worked on pioneering projects including the supply of the first GE biogas engines into sub-Saharan Africa near Lake Naivasha in Kenya and pioneering the use of CNG as a fuel with Nestle Nigeria.
The company was established by Jim Clarke in 1989 and initially was a service provided for Ruston diesel engines under the name Marine Manpower Services Limited. In 1995 Clarke Energy became distributor for Jenbacher Gas Engines. In 1998, from its success in the UK Clarke Energy began to expand overseas. In 2002 GE acquired Jenbacher, the Austrian gas engine specialist company  commencing Clarke Energy's relationship with GE. Clarke Energy helped develop some of the first projects as part of GE Energy's Ecomagination initiative including a biogas projects in Punjab, India, and coal gas plants in Australia.
Affiliations and Achievements
Clarke Energy is a member of the Combined Heat and Power Association, the Renewable Energy Association and a founding member of Lord Redesdale's Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Association Clarke Energy is also a multiple award winner of the British Safety Council's International Safety Award. Clarke Energy was named 'Business of the Year 2012' in the Knowsley Business Awards. In 2012 ECI Partners acquired a minority stake in Clarke Energy. In 2013 the company was awarded 'Export Champion' status by UK Trade and Investment.
- 1989 - Clarke Energy Established as an engine service company
- 1995 - Clarke Energy nominated as distributor for Jenbacher AG gas engine products in UK
- 1998 - Awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Australia, New Zealand and Nigeria
- 2003 - GE acquires Jenbacher AG. Clarke Energy acquires Cogen India, awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in India
- 2004 - Clarke Energy acquires Jenbacher France, awarded distribution rights for France.
- 2005 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Ireland. Previous distributor's contract cancelled.
- 2008 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Tunisia
- 2011 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Algeria
- 2012 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Tanzania
- 2013 - Clarke Energy acquires Orient Energy Systems Bangladesh, Agaricus Trading and GE's South African Jenbacher gas engine service business. Awarded distribution rights for Bangladesh, South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique
||This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (September 2012)|
- Jenbacher Distributor and Service Partners, GE Energy, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Energy Efficient an Interview with Alan Fletcher, Clarke Energy, Venture Magazine, www.venturemagazine.co.uk, December 2006, Accessed 1 April 2004
- Australia's Renewable Energy Use, Technologies and Services www.cleanenergycouncil.org.au, accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy makes major acquisition in Bangladesh, www.clarke-energy.com, 13/08/2013
- GE Energy fournit des moteurs Jenbacher pour une centrale à gaz de décharge sur l’île de la Réunion dans l’Océan Indien, fr.geenergyeurope-pressroom.com, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy Promeut la Cogeneration en Tunisie, www.kapitalis.com, accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy acquires GE's Jenbacher gas engine South African service business and Agaricus Trading, www.clarke-energy.com, accessed 11.11/2013
- Clarke Energy Sales Soar, Liverpool Daily Post, 22 July 2009, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Clarke Energy Sets £200 million target, Insider Media, 13 January 2011, www.insidermedia.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Director's Pay Cuts Double Profits at Clarke Energy, 30 June 2010, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Clarke Energy pushes into Oil and Gas Markets, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, accessed 5 January 2012
- Queensland Government Inaugurates Alternative Energy Plant Powered by GE's Jenbacher Waste Coal Mine Gas Engines, www.v1energy.com, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Generates Interest at Blackwater, www.gastoday.com.au, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Recycling Energy: Interview with Didier Lartigue, Director of Clarke Energy, British Embassy Tunis, ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Kenya to benefit from major biogas plant, www.businessdailyafrica.com, retrieved 20.09.2013
- Partnership with Clarke Energy will enable Nestle to save 30% on fuel cost annually, www.wapicforum.com
- Britain's Green Rich List, Sunday Times, 27 December 2009, www.timesonline.co.uk, Accessed 5 April 2004
- Clarke Energy Becomes Jenbacher Distributor, www.powergenworldwide.com, 1 May 1999, www.powergenworldwide.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Hoffman, A. Critical interfaces and technical limits for a reliable utilization of CMM in recip engines, GE Jenbacher, www.epa.gov, accessed 1 April 2011
- GE Energy's Jenbacher Biogas Engines Power, New Materials International, 15.08.2007, www.newmaterials.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- GE's ecomagination™ Certified Jenbacher Power Plant Commissioned at Australian Coal Mine to Help Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions, www.gepower.com, Accessed 14.04.2011
- Clarke Energy, Renewable Energy Association, www.rea.net, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Association - Founding Members, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Knowsley Business and Regeneration Awards 2012 - Winners Announced, www.knowsley.gov.uk, retrieved 11.01.2013
- ECI Partners Investment. www.ecipartners.com, received 11.01.2013
- Clarke Energy appointed as Export Champion, www.clarke-energy.com
- British Renewable Energy Awards 2013, www.r-e-a.net
- Energy Awards Shortlist, www.theenergyawards.com