Claude-Henri Plantier (1813 – 1875) was the Catholic Bishop of Nîmes from 1855. He was strongly Ultramontanist and anti-Protestant
He was an important figure in the debates on papal infallibility, with Louis Pie, Bishop of Poitiers, leading up to and at Vatican I. Some of his comments brought a reaction from Bismarck.
He was also an opponent of bullfighting, publishing a pastoral letter hostile to it in 1863.
- Règles de la vie sacerdotale (1859)
- Pie IX défenseur et vengeur de la vraie civilisation (1866)
- Sur les Conciles généraux (1869)
- ^ Brian Fitzpatrick, Catholic Royalism in the Department of the Gard 1814-1852 (2002), p. 182n.
- ^ La tauromachie au 21ème siècle : pourquoi ? Samedi