Claudia Lauper Bushman
Personal life and education
A member of LDS Church, Bushman is the wife of fellow historian Richard Lyman Bushman. The Bushmans are the parents of six children. Claudia Bushman was recognized as mother of the year for the state of New York in 2000. She is the sister of Bonnie Goodliffe, one of the organists for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Bushman is a professor of American Studies at Columbia University. In the summer of 2003, she was the director of the Joseph Fielding Smith Institute for Church History's Summer Scholars program. For the 2007–08 academic year, Bushman was an adjunct professor at Claremont Graduate University while her husband held the Howard W. Hunter chair at that institution. Bushman is the author of many books, most recently Contemporary Mormonism: Latter-day Saints in Modern America (Praeger Publishers, 2006).
In 1974 Bushman was involved in the founding of Exponent II, a Mormon feminist magazine. There was some speculation among the faculty of Brigham Young University that this led to an attempt by university officials to rescind an invitation for her to speak there in 1993.
Bushman has been heavily involved in cultural activities and public relations in New York City. She was the producer of the youth celebration that coincided with the dedication of the Manhattan New York Temple.
|This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (January 2015)|
- Mormons in America, ISBN 9780195106770
- Building the Kingdom: A History of Mormons in America, ISBN 9780195150223
- In Old Virginia: Slavery, Farming and Society in the Journal of John Walker, ISBN 978-0801867255
- America Discovers Columbus: How an Italian Explorer Became an American Hero, ISBN 978-0874515763
- Mormon Sisters: Women in Early Utah, ISBN 978-0874212334
- "National convention recognizes 18 LDS mothers". Church News. May 13, 2000. pp. Z07.
- Church News August 23, 2008.[full citation needed]
- "Historian appointed as Hunter professor". Church News. October 27, 2007. pp. U05.
- "Interview with Richard and Claudia Bushman"
- Ostling, Richard N. and Joan K. (1999). Mormon America: The Power and The Promise. HarperSanFrancisco. p. 367.
- Claudia Bushman at the MLCA Database
- Works by or about Claudia Lauper Bushman in libraries (WorldCat catalog)