Claudia Wilds Award
The ABA Claudia Wilds Award for Distinguished Service is an award given by the American Birding Association to a member who has given "long and useful service to the organization," either as a volunteer or as compensated staff, in recognition of the member's dedicated energy and years of service.
One of five awards presented by the ABA for contributions to birding, the award is named in honor of Claudia Wilds (1931-1997), who made many contributions to ornithology and the ABA. Wilds was author of an important birdfinding guide to the mid-Atlantic states and co-author of a handbook of the world's terns and skimmers, completed after her death. Wilds served on the board of the ABA, was an associate editor of Birding magazine, wrote articles for The Audubon Society Master Guide to Birding, and was a consultant in the preparation of the National Geographic Society's field guide. She herself was posthumously awarded the ABA's Ludlow Griscom Award in 1998.
The Claudia Wilds Award was first bestowed on Larry Balch.
List of recipients
Since the award's inception in 2000, there have been ten recipients, including two years in which more than one member was recognized.
|2000||Larry Balch||Past ABA president|
|2002||Dan Williams||Past ABA president|
|2009||Jane Kostenko and J. Tyler Bell|
|2014||Allan Keith||Past ABA president |
- American Birding Association. "American Birding Association Awards". Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Wilds, Claudia (1992). Finding Birds in the National Capital Area (rev. ed.). Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press. ISBN 9781560981756.
- Wilds, Claudia; Joe DiCostanzo (2005). Terns and Skimmers: A Guide to the Terns and Skimmers of the World. A&C Black Publishers, Ltd. ISBN 9781873403426.
- Lehman, Paul (October 1997). "A Tribute to Claudia Wilds (1931-1997)". Birding 29 (5): 358–360.
- American Birding Association. "ABA Award Recipients". Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Floyd, Ted (May–June 2006). "The History of Birding, Part III. 1981-1987" (PDF). Birding 38 (3): 18–19. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Floyd, Ted (September–October 2006). "The History of Birding, Part V. 1994-2000" (PDF). Birding 38 (5): 18–19. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Jett, George (May 2009). "SMAS Members Bell & Kostenko Honored" (PDF). The Osprey (Southern Maryland Audubon Society) 39 (8): 3. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Wheaton College. "Faculty Work--The Sciences". Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- Culbert, Robert A. (12 February 2014). "Reigning Raptors". Vineyard Gazette (Edgardtown, MA). Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Floyd, Ted (July–August 2006). "The History of Birding, Part IV. 1988-1993" (PDF). Birding 38 (4): 18–19. Retrieved 10 September 2012.