Claudio D. Zivic
|Claudio D. Zivic|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|31 March 2007|
|Called by||Gordon B. Hinckley|
|Born||Claudio Daniel Zivic
19 December 1948
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Spouse||Dina N. Álvarez|
Eleonora Z. Zivic
Claudio Daniel Zivic (born 19 December 1948) has been a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since 2007. He is the second Argentine general authority in LDS Church history.
Early life, family, and occupation
Born in Buenos Aires, the son of Sergio Jorge and Eleonora Zalewski Zivic, to a Latter-day Saint family, Zivic is a lifelong Mormon, which is not common for LDS Church members in South America born before 1950. Zivic's maternal grandmother was a Polish Jew and his paternal grandfather a German soldier who both immigrated to Argentina after World War I. His maternal grandmother and his mother were baptized when Zivic's mother was 12 years old.
Zivic is married to Dina Noemí Álvarez, who attended the same branch (local congregation) in Argentina as a child. Both were baptized in the chapel in Liniers, the oldest in South America and the only one equipped with a baptismal font at the time. Dina's family moved to the United States when she was nine. When she was twelve, her father was called as a construction missionary and sent to Chile. After three years on this mission the family returned to Argentina and again attended the same congregation as Zivic. In his youth, Zivic was a promising track athlete but gave up competition because track meets were held on Sunday.
LDS Church service
In the LDS Church, Zivic has been a bishop, counselor in a stake presidency, regional representative, and CES instructor. Zivic was a church area seventy from 1996 to 2002, serving as second counselor in the South America South Area Presidency from 2000 to 2002. Zivic was president of the Spain Bilbao Mission from 2003 to 2006.
In the church's April 2007 general conference, Zivic was sustained a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and again served as a counselor in the South America South Area Presidency from 2007 to 2009. Since 2010, he has been an Assistant Executive Director in the church's Temple Department. Zivic's sermon in the church's October 2007 General Conference has been praised for its deep spirituality.
- Church News, May 12, 2007.
- Claudio Zivic, “The Unexplainable Call,” Ensign, April 2007, p. 73.
- Church News, March 29, 2003.
- 177th Semi-Annual General Conference, Sunday Afternoon Session Talk Excerpts, Meridian Magazine, October 7, 2007, accessed 2008-05-12.
- Jerry Johnston, "Hispanics giving us a dose of spirituality", Deseret Morning News, 2007-10-13, accessed 2008-05-12.
- Jennifer Dobner, "Hinckley put focus on missionary work", Columbus Dispatch, 2008-01-19, accessed 2008-05-12.
- Church News, August 24, 1996; October 5, 2002; May 12, 2007
- “Area Authority in Argentina,” Ensign, April 1999, p. 68
- “Elder Claudio D. Zivic,” Liahona, May 2007, p. 126]