Claudio Nunes (born March 23, 1968 in Rome) is an Italian bridge international. He is a five-time world champion, a World Grand Master of the World Bridge Federation (WBF), and the WBF second-ranked player as of April 2011. He is one of 10 players globally who collected the Triple Crown of Bridge.
Nunes' regular partner is Fulvio Fantoni, the first-ranked World Grand Master (April 2011). Fantoni-Nunes are generally regarded as one of the top pairs worldwide. They play "Fantunes", for their surnames, an innovative bidding system characterised by natural but forcing one-level opening bids in all four suits.
Emigration to Monaco
From 2011 Nunes and Fantoni are full-time members of a team led and paid by the Swiss real estate tycoon Pierre Zimmermann, under contract expiring 2016. The team finished third in the 2010 world championship, not yet full-time. From 2012 all six members will be citizens of Monaco and the team will be a prohibitive favorite to represent Monaco internationally.
Major Bridge tournament wins
- Bermuda Bowl: 2005
- World Team Olympiad: 2004
- World Mind Sports Games: Open Teams 2008 — successor to the quadrennial Olympiad
- World Open Pairs: 2002
- World Transnational Open Teams Championship: 2007
- Spingold: 2011, 2012
- European Teams Championship for Open Teams: 2004, 2006
- European Champions' Cup for Open Teams: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
- The 1st World Mind Sports Games. info.2008wmsg.chinaqiyuan.com
- Open Classification, World Bridge Federation. Confirmed 2010-11-07.
- "Helgeness and Fantunes Immigrate to Monaco", BridgeTopics.com 2010-12-14. Originally published in Norwegian: Alf Helge Jensen, "Helgeness skal spille for Monaco", Bridge i Norge (ed. Boye Brogeland), 2010-12-13. Confirmed 2011-08-23.
|This bridge-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|