|Motto: "Little City with a Big Heart"|
Location in the state of Michigan
|• Mayor||Penny Luebs|
|• City Manager||Mark Pollock|
|• City||2.20 sq mi (5.70 km2)|
|• Land||2.20 sq mi (5.70 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||11,945|
|• Density||5,375.0/sq mi (2,075.3/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48017, 48398|
|GNIS feature ID||0623389|
|Website||City of Clawson, Michigan|
The city's name is a misspelling of John Lawson's name, a local settler. Clawson began in 1829 and was originally known as Pumachug and The Corners. It was incorporated in 1921 as a village and in 1940 as a city.
As of the census of 2010, there were 11,825 people, 5,460 households, and 2,992 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,375.0 inhabitants per square mile (2,075.3 /km2). There were 5,791 housing units at an average density of 2,632.3 per square mile (1,016.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.4% White, 1.9% African American, 0.3% Native American, 2.0% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 5,460 households of which 23.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 45.2% were non-families. 38.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.88.
The median age in the city was 39.9 years. 17.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.4% were from 25 to 44; 28.4% were from 45 to 64; and 14.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,732 people, 5,572 households, and 3,259 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,787.0 people per square mile (2,234.5/km²). There were 5,676 housing units at an average density of 2,579.9 per square mile (996.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.10% White, 0.80% African American, 0.34% Native American, 1.32% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 1.19% from two or more races. Hispanic and Latino of any race were 1.14% of the population.
There were 5,572 households out of which 25.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.5% were non-families. 35.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.6% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 34.8% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 15.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 94.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $50,929, and the median income for a family was $64,684. Males had a median income of $45,242 versus $30,679 for females. The per capita income for the city was $25,676. About 1.4% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.6% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
Clawson utilizes the Council-Manager form of government, and thus is governed by a City Council consisting of a Mayor and four council members. The city council appoints a City Manager, who manages the day-to-day operations of the city.
In the city of Clawson there are three separate public educational facilities operated by Clawson Public Schools. The two elementary schools are Paul A. Schalm Elementary (in the northwestern section of the city) and Kenwood Elementary (in the southwest). Clawson High School and Clawson Middle School are linked and share some common facilities.
Schalm Elementary serves children through 5th grade living north of 14 Mile Road and/or west of Rochester. Kenwood services those south of 14 Mile and/or east of Rochester. There is a bus service for any child that has to cross more than one of the mentioned roads. For those children that are required to cross one of the roads there are crossing guards at specific corners. The middle school and high school do not have any busing.
- Mark Campbell, tight end for the New Orleans Saints
- Tim Gleason, defenseman for the Toronto Maple Leafs; 2010 Olympian, ice hockey
- Jon Jansen, offensive tackle for the Washington Redskins
- Dan Scanlon, director at Pixar Animation Studios
- "City of Clawson, Michigan". City of Clawson, Michigan. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clawson, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Clawson city, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Profile for Clawson, Michigan, MI". ePodunk. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 119
- "Japhet School Celebrates 40 Years and Moves to Clawson." Japhet School. July 9, 2013. Retrieved on November 6, 2013. (Archive) "31202 Dorchester, Madison Heights, MI 48701" "Mailing address through August 20: above" and "Mailing address after August 20: 839 S. Crooks, Clawson, MI 48017"
- City of Clawson official website
- Clawson School District
- Clawson Historical Museum
- Transcript from the 2007 State of the City address[dead link]
- Article about local mayoral / council race, current as of 11/2007[dead link]