He is perhaps best known as an individual who led a controversial 2006 petition initiative in Kansas City, Missouri, to build light rail. He spearheaded previous failed petition initiatives in the city. His book Tilting at Windmills: How one man battled political power to save America’s grandest train station was published in 1998 (ISBN 1-890622-38-9). Local writer Larry Rochelle used Chastain as the basis for his Sandy Banteen character in the mystery novel Death and Devotion. 
- "Our Campaigns". Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- "Mystery reads more like fantasy". Kansas City Star. 2006-10-09. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- Crazy train, The Pitch, October 26, 2006
- Chastain expounds on light rail plan, Kansas City Business Journal, November 28, 2006
- SWM seeks civic-minded babe, Harper's Magazine, January 1998
|This biographical article about a United States activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|