Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)
|"Cleaning This Gun (Come On in Boy)"|
|Single by Rodney Atkins|
|from the album If You're Going Through Hell|
|Released||October 1, 2007|
|Rodney Atkins singles chronology|
"Cleaning This Gun (Come On in Boy)" is a song written by Casey Beathard and Marla-Cannon Goodman, and recorded by American country music artist Rodney Atkins. It was released in October 2007 as the fourth from his album If You're Going Through Hell. The song became Atkins' fourth consecutive number one hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, tying a record for most number ones from a country album since Tim McGraw's Set This Circus Down in 2001–2002.
The song begins with the narrator's recollections of his teenage years. In the first verse, he admits that while he doesn't remember much from what he learned in high school, one thing he does remember is the speech given to him by his girlfriend's father after meeting him for the first time—a speech meant to instill fear in the boy so that he doesn't misbehave when with the girl, ending with: "I'll see you when you get back; bet I'll be up all night (pause) still cleanin' this gun."
In the second verse, the narrator, who's now a father himself, confesses that he's "scared to death" that his own daughter is going to find a boyfriend who was just like him when he was in high school ("seems to have just one thing on his mind"), and he'll need to give that same speech to his daughter's boyfriend.
In a short bridge later in the song, the narrator admits that the approach is merely to intimidate the young suitor, but that it's extremely effective: "It's all for show, ain't nobody gonna get hurt/It's just a Daddy thing, and hey, believe me; man, it works."
The song concludes with the narrator speaking to the boyfriend: "Yeah, son, y'all buckle up and have her back by 10 — uhh, let's say about 9: (slight pause) 30. Drive safe!"
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||84|
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||9|
"Letter to Me"
by Brad Paisley
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
March 1–March 8, 2008
by Carrie Underwood
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Horner, Alanna (2008-04-07). "Story Behind the Song". Country Weekly 15 (7): 15.
- "Rodney Atkins Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Rodney Atkins. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Rodney Atkins Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Rodney Atkins. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Rodney Atkins Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rodney Atkins. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.
- "American single certifications – Rodney Atkins – Cleaning This Gun". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 27, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH