Clear Brook High School
|Clear Brook High School|
|4607 F-M 2351
Friendswood, Texas, 77546
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||On a Quest for the Best|
|Associate Principal||Joey Thomas|
|School color(s)||Black, Red, and Silver|
The school, which serves grades 9–12, is a part of the Clear Creek Independent School District. Clear Brook serves several communities, including portions of Friendswood, Houston, and unincorporated Harris County. The communities of Sterling Knoll, Bay Glen, Bay Knoll, Bay Pointe, Northfork, Heritage Park, Wedgewood, Pipers Meadow, Forest Bend, and Sageglen are served by the school. The school colors are black, red, and silver. As of 2010[update] the school principal is Michele Staley.
As of 2010[update], Clear Brook also has five assistant principals who are in charge of five different smaller learning communities.
The school fight song is "The Victors", the same fight song as the University of Michigan. Clear Brook High School also shares the same mascot as U of M: the wolverine, but the decision to choose the wolverine as Clear Brook's mascot was actually inspired by the 1984 war film Red Dawn. The school mascot is named Big Will.
The school celebrated its first Texas state championship title in 1990, won by the girls' water polo team. However, Clear Brook's water polo team was not a UIL-sanctioned team at the time. The school's first state participant was the varsity tennis team in 1996.
The inspiration for the school's mascot as well as the school's colors was the movie Red Dawn, which was popular among high school students at the time of the school's inception. Clear Brook first formed their football team in 1990 and competed in UIL 4A. The team reached the 4A playoffs for the first time in 1992. In 1994 they found playoff success winning the first two games but eventually losing to Jasper. They stayed in 4A through the 1997-1998 school year. The 1997 football team captured the first district championship in school history, capped by a win against rival Friendswood, who was the top ranked team in the area at the time. In 1998, they competed in district 24-5A for their first time. Brook was expected to make the transition poorly, but surprised everyone with a 9-1 regular season, with a close loss at Galveston Ball. Brook would go on to win 3 playoff games, but lose to Katy, who was eventually stripped of their win because of an ineligible player. With a 118-89-2 overall historical record in football, Clear Brook currently has a higher winning percentage than any other Clear Creek Independent School District High School.
The following elementary schools feed into Clear Brook High School: Greene, Landolt, North Pointe, Ward, Weber, Wedgewood, and Whitcomb. The following intermediate schools feed into Clear Brook High School: Brookside, Clear Lake, and Westbrook.
The school made headlines in May 2011 when a ninth grade biology teacher was disciplined for offensive comments towards a student. The teacher told a female Muslim student, "I bet you're grieving," referencing the death of Osama bin Laden, and went on to say, "I heard about your uncle's death." Fellow students reported that the teacher had laughed and shrugged when the girl cried over what he said.
Notable school alumni
- Dwan Epps, (Middle Linebacker/Defensive End), Seattle Seahawks (NFL), Amsterdam Admirals (NFLE), Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL)
- Robin Coleman, Hellga, American Gladiators
- Ronnie Price, Point guard, Utah Jazz NBA
- Ben Emanuel, Safety, Calgary Stampeders CFL
- Anthony Hill, Tight End, Indianapolis Colts NFL
- Mauli Dave, Indian singer/actor/dancer/television host
- "Comprehensive Land Use Plan." City of Friendswood. Retrieved September 28, 2008.
- [dead link]
- "From The Beginning: 5A Team Histories (246 of 246) - 5A Texas Football Forum". 5atexasfootball.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.[dead link]
- Clear Brook High School teacher disciplined over alleged insult to Muslim student | abc13.com. Abclocal.go.com (2011-05-03). Retrieved on 2011-10-28.
- Fourth-round pick Hill's preseason impresses Texans - Houston Chronicle. Chron.com (2009-08-29). Retrieved on 2011-10-28.
- Clear Brook High School Website
- Clear Brook High School website
- Clear Brook High School Band
- Clear Brook Soccer
- Clear Brook Football Website
- District 24-5A 2009 Schedules