||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2014)|
Adaptive Cyber Protection
|Headquarters||Theale, Berkshire, UK|
|Products||SECURE Email Gateway, SECURE Web Gateway, SECURE File Gateway, SECURE ICAP Gateway, SECURE Exchange Gateway, MIMEsweeper|
|Services||Product support, Security consulting|
Clearswift is an information security company, used by thousands of clients worldwide, to provide adaptive cyber solutions that enable their organizations to secure business critical data from internal and external threats. Built on an innovative Deep Content Inspection engine managed and controlled by a fully integrated policy center, Clearswift’s solutions support a comprehensive Information Governance strategy resulting in data being managed and protected effortlessly. As a global organization, Clearswift operates out of offices in Europe, Australia, Japan and the United States. Clearswift has a partner network of more than 900 resellers across the globe.
SECURE Email Gateway
The replacement product for MIMEsweeper. It provides a much simplified user interface and operations management. Includes Linux OS, anti-virus, anti-malware, data loss prevention (DLP) and much improved spam detection and reporting in a single deliverable. It can be deployed on virtual environments, own hardware, or purchased as an appliance.
SECURE Web Gateway
New product built on MIMEsweeper platform but with much simplified user interface and operations management. Gateway includes, Linux OS, AV, Anti Malware etc. and Reporting all in a single deliverable. Can be deployed on virtual environments, own hardware or purchased as an appliance.
SECURE File Gateway
The SECURE File Gateway uses the same core technology as in the other gateways. It is designed to be used within organizations for securely transferring files from one network segment to another. It includes Linux OS, anti-virus, DLP and reporting in a single deliverable. Can be deployed on virtual environments, own hardware, or purchased as an appliance. A version of the SECURE File Gateway is OEM’d and sold by BAE.
SECURE ICAP Gateway
The SECURE ICAP Gateway is a variant of the SECURE Web Gateway which is designed to work with the ICAP interface. Specifically with Blue Coat devices. It brings the Clearswift Deep Content Inspection and DLP functionality to the Blue Coat proxy. It can be deployed on virtual environments, own hardware, or purchased as an appliance.
SECURE Exchange Gateway
The SECURE Exchange Gateway is a variant of the SECURE Email Gateway. It has an additional Interceptor for Microsoft Exchange which enables all internal email traffic to be subject to the Deep Content Inspection and DLP policies that the other Clearswift gateway products have.
MIMEsweeper was originally a mail filtering product of Content Technologies.
In April 2005 Clearswift began to market an SMTP appliance based upon the technology.
Clearswift has extended the MIMEsweeper line to include web and instant messaging filtering. These are marketed as protecting against the leakage of confidential company information on social networking sites - Clearswift argues that instead of banning Web 2.0 sites and services entirely, businesses can actually gain a competitive advantage by making use of them, provided their use is monitored.
In September 2013 Clearswift introduced some new options for their SECURE Gateways, Adaptive Redaction. There are three options available.
- Data redaction: Removal of data (text) from email, web pages and files (including email attachments).
- Document sanitisation: Removal of ‘hidden’ data, such as that held in document properties and revision history from email, web pages and files (including email attachments).
- Structural sanitisation: Removal of active content from web pages and files (including email attachments).
Clearswift sold the Deep-secure, Bastion and Flashpoint products in Dec of 2009.
- 1982: Clearswift was originally founded as NET-TEL in 1982. One of the co-founders, John Horton, had previously worked at GEC and Acorn Computers.
- 1988: In 1988, NET-TEL launched Route400, the world's first mail client for MS-DOS (using the X.400 protocol). It was later ported to other platforms.
- 1998: NET-TEL switched its main business to content filtering in 1998, as the popularity of the Microsoft Exchange Client took away the mail client market.
- 2001: NET-TEL was rebranded as Clearswift in 2001, after a round of venture capital fundraising.
- 2002: In 2002, Clearswift acquired Content Technologies from Baltimore Technologies, along with the MIMEsweeper brand.
- 2003: In 2003, the company received $6.07 million from its shareholders, including venture capital funds managed by Amadeus Capital Partners, BA Capital Partners, Cazenove Private Equity, and Kennet Partners. Also, it was reported that Clearswift were the providers of a new email filtering system at the House of Commons, responsible for blocking Welsh language emails as "inappropriate content", and preventing MPs receiving copies of a Sexual Offences Bill. Clearswift would not confirm that the House of Commons was a customer, citing customer confidentiality reasons.
- 2008: In January 2008, failure to renew a domain name caused loss of email services to 5% of Clearswift's customers.
- 2011: In November 2011, Clearswift was acquired by Lyceum Capital 
- 2013: In August 2013 Clearswift acquired Jedda Systems Pty Ltd in order to provide endpoint DLP in conjunction with its gateway based network DLP.
- "Builds Platform for Strong Future Growth". Clearswift. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- [dead link]
- http://www.clearswift.com/news/item.aspx?ID=807 Clearswift / News & Events
- Don't ban social networking sites: Careers - ZDNet Australia
- BBC - Radio 4 - In Business
- "Launches World’s First Adaptive Redaction Functionality". Clearswift. 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Deep Secure
- NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd - News
- NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd - Company - Profile
- FT.com / Services & tools / Search
- NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd - Products - Messaging Clients
- FT.com / Services & tools / Search
- Fortune favours bold Clearswift | Information Age
- Clearswift Secures $6.07 Million in Funding; Email Management Leader Moves Into Significant Stage of Growth
- "Web Security Solutions | Email Security Solutions - Lyceum acquires Clearswift and exceeds £100m IT investment milestone". Clearswift.com. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Extends Delivery of Data Leak Prevention Strategy". Clearswift. Retrieved 2014-01-23.