Typical windmill street sign found throughout Clearwater
Location of Clearwater within County and State
|• Mayor||Mike York |
|• Total||1.87 sq mi (4.84 km2)|
|• Land||1.87 sq mi (4.84 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,286 ft (392 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,489|
|• Density||1,326.7/sq mi (512.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0474315|
Clearwater was first settled in 1870, then platted as a city in 1872. It was named from the clear water of the river upon which it is situated. The first post office in Clearwater was established in 1871, and the name of the post office was officially spelled out Clear Water until 1894. The Chisholm Trail ran along the east side of the community from 1867 to 1871.
Clearwater is located just southwest of Wichita, Kansas at (37.505646, -97.501516). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.87 square miles (4.84 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,481 people, 908 households, and 660 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,326.7 inhabitants per square mile (512.2/km2). There were 963 housing units at an average density of 515.0 per square mile (198.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.2% White, 0.2% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.6% of the population.
There were 908 households of which 40.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.1% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 27.3% were non-families. 25.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.19.
The median age in the city was 35.8 years. 29.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.7% were from 25 to 44; 22% were from 45 to 64; and 16.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.1% male and 52.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there are 2,178 people, 773 households, and 609 families residing in the city. The population density is 750.8/km² (1,942.7/mi²). There are 791 housing units at an average density of 272.7 persons/km² (705.5 persons/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 96.42% White, 0.28% African American, 1.24% Native American, 0.41% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 1.19% from two or more races. 1.06% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 773 households out of which 42.8% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.1% are married couples living together, 11.1% have a woman whose husband does not live with her, and 21.1% are non-families. 19.4% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.1% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.74 and the average family size is 3.15.
In the city the population is spread out with 31.7% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.1% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 35 years. For every 100 females there are 91.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.6 males.
As of 2000 the median income for a household was $50,694, and the median income for a family is $53,816. Males have a median income of $41,306 versus $28,348 for females. The per capita income for the city is $20,286. 4.3% of the population and 3.5% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 5.4% are under the age of 18 and 6.0% are 65 or older.
- Raymond Goertz, roboticist
- Cara Gorges, 2007 Miss Kansas USA
- Pamela Horton, Playboy Playmate of the Month for October 2012.
- Logan Mize, Country Artist
- Clearwater - Directory of Public Officials
- Clearwater - Government
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History; 1912.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 285.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Route of the Chisholm cattle trail in Kansas; Kansas Historical Society, 1960s.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clearwater, Kansas.|
- USD 264, local school district
- Clearwater City Map, KDOT