|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
|City of Clermont|
|Motto: "Choice of Champions"|
Location in Lake County and the state of Florida
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||11.5 sq mi (29.7 km2)|
|• Land||10.5 sq mi (27.2 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (2.5 km2)|
|Elevation||307 ft (93 m)|
|• Density||2,600/sq mi (990/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0280563|
Clermont is a city in Lake County, Florida, United States, west of Orlando. The population was 30,201 as of 2013. The city is residential in character and its economy is centered in retail trade, lodging, and food and beverage establishments, which are tourism oriented. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Clermont is located at (28.547584, -81.749519).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.5 square miles (30 km2). 10.5 square miles (27 km2) of it is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) of it (8.54%) is water.
The annual average variations of various measurements are indicated:
Rainfall 36.6 to 51.2 inches (930 to 1,300 mm); Snowfall is zero; 25.2 Precipitation Days 101 to 107; Sunny Days 205 to 236; Avg. July High 86.5 to 91.7 °F (30.3 to 33.2 °C); Avg. Jan. Low 20.8 to 48.8 °F (−6.2 to 9.3 °C); Comfort Index (higher=better) 28 to 44; UV Index from 4.3 to 6.3; Elevation 116 to 307 feet (35 to 94 m);
The town gets 51 inches (1,300 mm) of rain per year. The US average is 37 inches (940 mm). Snowfall is 0 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches (640 mm) of snow per year.
On average, there are 236 sunny days per year. The July high is around 92 °F (33 °C). The January low is 49. The comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 28 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable.
Clermont was founded in 1884 and incorporated in 1916. The city is located in south Lake County in suburban central Florida, about 22 miles (35 km) west of the city of Orlando and 22 miles (35 km) southeast of the city of Leesburg.
The historic downtown district appearance has not changed much since 1962.
With a 207% growth from 2000–2010, the city has experienced concurrent economic growth, attracting big box retail stores. In spring of 2010 Clermont Landings opened with 20 new shops and restaurants and the first cinema. Growth has resulted in increased pollution. This has affected the city's natural resources, including its lakes.
As of the census of 2010, there were 28,742 people residing in the city in 11,216 households. The population density in 2000 was 812/mi² (314/km²). There were 12,730 housing units. In 2000 the average density of Clermont 380/mi² (147/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 71.69% White, 14.41% African American, 0.42% Native American, 4.19% Asian, 5.37% from other races, and 3.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 17.75% of the population.
21.28% of households had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.5% were non-families. 26.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the city the population was distributed with 20.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 24.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
In 2010, 39.6% of the population identified with a religion. 12.7% were Baptist, 9.1% were Catholic, Methodist 3.6%, Pentecostal 2.4%, Presbyterian 2.1%, Lutheran 1.4%, Other Christian 4.1%, Others were under 1%.
Local education establishments for Clermont include Minneola Elementary School, South Lake Charter Elementary (also known as Imagine Schools at South Lake), Cypress Ridge Elementary School, Lost Lake Elementary, Clermont Elementary School, Clermont Middle School, Windy Hill Middle School, East Ridge Middle School, Lake Minneola High School, East Ridge High School, South Lake High School, Sawgrass Bay Elementary, Pine Ridge Elementary,and, Grassy Lake Elementary.
The median income for a household in the city was $39,290, and the median income for a family was $48,216. Males had a median income of $36,240 versus $26,571 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,099. About 6.3% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.0% of those under age 18 and 4.5% of those age 65 or over.
The income per capita is $24,952, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $45,980.
Population by occupation:
- Management, Business, and Financial Operations 13.68% 13.61%
- Professional and Related Occupations 17.31% 20.24%
- Service 22.30% 14.75%
- Sales and Office 27.17% 26.74%
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry 0.42% 0.74%
- Construction, Extraction, and Maintenance 8.98% 9.48%
- Production, Transportation, and Material Moving 10.13% 14.44%
The Clermont sales tax rate is 7.00%.
The city is essentially residential in character. The median home value in town is $227,510. Home appreciation is -21.40% during 2009.
Renters made up 23.21% of the population. 8.33% of houses and apartments were unoccupied (vacancy rate).
- William Andres, Canadian parliamentarian
- Veronica Campbell-Brown, track athlete
- Jeff Chase, actor
- Jason Couch, American professional bowler
- Tim Crews (1961-1993), American professional baseball player
- Kate DiCamillo, children's book author
- Norm Duke, American professional bowler
- Tyson Gay, track athlete
- Art Heyman, professional basketball player
- Brandy Johnson Olympic Gymnast
- Nina Kraft, pro triathlete
- Kalup Linzy, video and performance artist
- Dennis Mitchell, track coach
- Randy Pedersen, American Professional bowler / TV commentator
- Cassidy Rae, actress
- "USGS Map Name: Clermont East, FL Map MRC: 28081E6 Map Center: N28.55625° W81.71832° Datum: NAD83 Zoom: 4m/pixel". United States Geological Survey.
- "Population Estimates" (CSV). 2008 Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau. July 1, 2009. Retrieved July 24, 2009.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "The Citrus Tower". The Citrus Tower. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- its lakes
- "Religion". bestplaces.net. 2011-02-09.
- Official website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clermont, Florida.|