||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Cleve Barry Moler|
|Born||August 17, 1939|
|Fields||Mathematics, Computer science|
|Institutions||University of Michigan
University of New Mexico
|Alma mater||California Institute of Technology
|Doctoral advisor||George Forsythe|
|Doctoral students||Jack Dongarra
Charles F. Van Loan
Cleve Barry Moler is an American mathematician and computer programmer specializing in numerical analysis. In the mid to late 1970s, he was one of the authors of LINPACK and EISPACK, Fortran libraries for numerical computing. He invented MATLAB, a numerical computing package, to give his students at the University of New Mexico easy access to these libraries without writing Fortran. In 1984, he co-founded MathWorks with Jack Little to commercialize this program.
He was a professor of mathematics and computer science for almost 20 years at the University of Michigan, Stanford University, and the University of New Mexico. Before joining MathWorks full-time in 1989, he also worked for Intel Hypercube and Ardent Computer Corporation. He is also co-author of four textbooks on numerical methods and is a member of the Association for Computing Machinery. He was president of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics 2007-2008.
He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering on February 14, 1997. He received an honorary degree from Linköping University, Sweden. He received an honorary degree of Doctor of Mathematics from the University of Waterloo on June 16, 2001. On April 30, 2004, he was appointed Honorary Doctor (doctor technices, honoris causa) at the Technical University of Denmark. In April 2012, the IEEE Computer Society named Cleve the recipient of the 2012 Computer Pioneer Award.
- Forsythe, George E., Malcolm, Michael A., Moler, Cleve B., "Computer methods for mathematical computations", Prentice-Hall Series in Automatic Computation, Prentice-Hall., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1977. MR 0458783 ISBN 0-13-165332-6
- Moler, Cleve B., "Numerical Computing with MATLAB", Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2004, ISBN 978-0-89871-560-6
- Cleve Moler Elected Next SIAM President, News of SIAM, December 16, 2005
- Math whiz stamps profound imprint on computing world, New Mexico Business Weekly, January 30, 2009
- SIAM Presidents http://www.siam.org/about/more/presidents.php
- MATLAB Creator Cleve Moler Wins Computer Pioneer Award, IEEE Computer Press Release, April 11, 2012
- MathWorks biography of Moler
- Cleve Moler, Oral history interview by Thomas Haigh, 8 and 9 March, 2004, Santa Barbara, California. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA Lengthy interview transcript covering Moler's entire career. Full text available online.
- Cleve Moler at the Mathematics Genealogy Project