Cleveland City Council is the legislative branch of the government of the City of Cleveland in Ohio. Its members are elected from 19 wards to four-year terms. The number of council members has decreased over the years. In 1885 there were 50 council members, by the 1960s there were 33, and in 1981 Cleveland voters approved reducing council to 21 members.
In November 2008, Cleveland voters passed a charter amendment linking the size of City Council to the city's population. City Council approved a redistricting plan in March 2009 reducing the number of wards to 19 at the start of the 2010–2013 term. Thereafter, the number of wards will be tied to the population identified in the decennial United States Census.
Population decreases identified in the 2010 Census resulted in the elimination of two wards, reducing the number of members to 17. In March 2013, City Council approved new ward boundaries that will go into effect in January 2014. Council voted to amend the boundaries on April 17, 2013.
The Cleveland City Council chambers are located in Cleveland City Hall, across the street from Public Auditorium.
City Council members 
The members of Cleveland City Council are listed below in the order of the ward they serve.
See also 
- ^ Van Tassel, David D.; Grabowski, John J., eds. (1997-06-11). "Cleveland City Council". The Encyclopedia Of Cleveland History. Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Bicentennial Commission. ISBN 0-253-33056-4. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- ^ Gomez, Henry J. (2008-11-04). "Cleveland City Council reduction close to approval". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- ^ Gomez, Henry J. (2009-03-23). "Cleveland Council adopts new ward boundaries". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- ^ "Find My Ward". Cleveland City Council. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- ^ Atassi, Leila (March 26, 2013). "Proposed Cleveland City Council ward map approved; Cimperman, Polensek vote 'No'". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- ^ Atassi, Leila (April 17, 2013). "Cleveland City Council approves another set of ward boundaries, map passes in 14 to 4 vote". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- ^ "Council Members". Cleveland City Council. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
External links