Cleveland High School (Los Angeles, California)
|Grover Cleveland High School|
|Location||8140 Vanalden Avenue,
Reseda, Los Angeles, California, USA
|District||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Colors||Red, White, & Black|
Grover Cleveland High School is a public school serving grades 9-12. Cleveland Humanities Magnet is part of Cleveland High School. The school is located in Reseda, in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, California.
Cleveland, a part of the Los Angeles Unified School District, was named after President Grover Cleveland. Cleveland High School is LAUSD's only comprehensive high school that holds the title of being a California Distinguished School.
Cleveland High School was honored as a 2005 California Distinguished School and as of 2010 was ranked the 703rd best high school in the nation by Newsweek, up from 854th the year before. It has a student population of about 3800. The school is divided into small learning communities:
- Academy of Art and Technology (AOAT)
- School for Advanced Studies (SAS)
- Interdisciplinary Studies (IS)
- The Humanities Magnet (CORE)
- Media Academy
- Advancement Via Individual Determination
- Community, Academics, and Values House
In 2010, the Speech and Debate team was the team of the 2010 CHSSA State Champion in Impromptu Speaking. Since then they have continued to uphold its tradition of excellence by producing league champions in both debate and speech events. Cleveland is known throughout the city for its strong aquatics program. The swim team and water polo have won CIF championships numerous times.
Notable alumni 
- Bret Saberhagen, baseball player
- Barry Minkow, con man
- Harvey Levin, TMZ editor-in-chief and creator
- Jeff Widener, took the famous picture of the man standing in front of a line of tanks during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
- Nick Young, NBA player currently on The Philadelphia 76ers
- Victoria Justice, actress
- Don Stark, actor, TV: That 70's Show, Movies: Star Trek, Casino
- Trevor Wilson, basketball player
- Charles Martin Smith, actor/writer/director
- Jessica Cosby, Olympian
- Bobby Braswell, former head men's basketball coach at California State University, Northridge
- Lucious Harris, basketball player
In April 2013, a former student died after being stabbed at the school. One of the two attackers, who were brothers, was also a former student.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2010)|
- The mascot is the Cavaliers, like the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- The film, American Gun, had a few scenes shot at Cleveland High School.
- Melissa Etheridge's "Breathe" music video was filmed at Cleveland's football field.
- Three 6 Mafia has also shot the music video for "Good Googly Moogly" on the football field.
- The Media Academy has had many visitors, including the actor Jon Voight
- Dumbfoundead filmed a music video at Cleveland's football field.
- Chris Colfer's most recent film Struck by Lightning was filmed at Cleveland
- "High School Profile Page - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Newsweek.com. 2010 (?).[dead link]
- "http://trivalleysite.yolasite.com/10statesreport.php". [dead link]
- Blankstein, Andrew; Robert J. Lopez (April 24, 2013). "Student dies after being stabbed at Cleveland High, LAPD says". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- Cleveland High School website
- http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/education/Cleveland_High_School_Test_Scores_Soar_20090618[dead link]