Cleveland Institute of Electronics
|Cleveland Institute of Electronics|
|Motto||A School of thousands. A class of one. Since 1934.|
|President||John R. Drinko|
|Location||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Former names||Smith Practical Radio Institute|
|Affiliations||CHEA, DETC, ACE|
Cleveland Institute of Electronics (CIE) is an accredited, privately held, technical and engineering college located in Cleveland, Ohio, with a 4 year college, World College, located in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
The Institute was established in 1934 by Carl E. Smith under the name Smith Practical Radio Institute to provide correspondence learning courses in the field of Radio and Electronics Engineering, and has served an international student body since its inception. In 1972, a student body of 40,000 students from 70 countries was achieved. In 1992, a wholly owned subsidiary, World College, was added to CIE. Bachelor degree programs are offered by means of curriculum made available through the World College system. Along with the school's core curriculum, assignment and examination submission via the internet became available to students in 2000.
In the 1960s, Carl Smith commissioned Pickett & Eckel Company to manufacture a slide rule tailored toward the school's course modules. The model became known as the Pickett N515-T Electronic Slide Rule.
The Pickett N515-T CIE Electronic Slide Rule. Image courtesy of Mike Konshak, Curator, International Slide Rule Museum.
Programs of study
Both Associate's degrees and Bachelor's degrees are offered through CIE, with the latter made available through the school's subsidiary, World College. Additionally, CIE offers numerous diplomas in the Electronics Engineering, Broadcast Engineering (Leads to CBT designation by the Society of Broadcast Engineers), and Computer Engineering fields.
- Broadcast Engineering
- CompTIA A+ Certification and Computer Technology
- CompTIA Network+ Certification and Computer Technology
- Computer Programming with Java and C#
- Electronics Engineering
- Electronics Technology and Advanced Troubleshooting I & II
- Electronics Technology with Digital and Microprocessor Laboratories
- Electronics Technology with FCC License Preparation
- Electronics Technology with Laboratory
- Industrial Electronics with PLC Technology
- Introduction to Computers and Microsoft Office
- Introduction to Home Automation Installation
- Introduction to Photovoltaic Systems
- Wireless and Electronic Communications
Associate's of Applied Science Degrees
- A.A.S. in Computer Information Technology and Systems Management
- A.A.S. in Electronic Engineering Technology
- A.A.S. in Software Engineering
Bachelor's of Science Degrees
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Electronic Engineering Technology
- Official Cleveland Institute of Electronics Website
- CIE Bookstore
- World College
- US Department of Education - Accreditation
- World College listing with IAU International Association of Universities UNESCO