Cleveland Institute of Electronics
|Cleveland Institute of Electronics|
|Motto||A School of thousands. A class of one. Since 1934.|
|Type||Private, for-profit technical college|
|President||John R. Drinko|
|Location||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Former names||Smith Practical Radio Institute|
|Affiliations||CHEA, DETC, ACE|
CIE is nationally accredited through DETC. CIE's DETC accreditation was terminated on July 18, 2014.
The Institute was established in 1934 by Carl E. Smith under the name Smith Practical Radio Institute to provide correspondence learning courses in the field of Radio and Electronics, and has attracted an international student body since its inception. In 1972, enrollment reached 40,000 students from 70 countries. In 1992, a wholly owned subsidiary, World College, was added to CIE, but this subsidiary college has since closed. Along with the school's core curriculum, assignment and examination submission via the internet became available to students in 2000.
In the 1960s, Carl Smith commissioned Pickett & Eckel Company to manufacture a slide rule tailored toward the school's course modules. The model became known as the Pickett N515-T Electronic Slide Rule.
The Pickett N515-T CIE Electronic Slide Rule. Image courtesy of Mike Konshak, Curator, International Slide Rule Museum.
Programs of study
Bachelor's degree were available through the school's subsidiary, World College, until World College was closed. CIE offers numerous certificates and diplomas in Electronics, Broadcast Engineering Technology (Leading to CBT designation by the Society of Broadcast Engineers), and Computing fields.
- Broadcast Engineering Technology
- CompTIA A+ Certification and Computer Technology
- CompTIA Network+ Certification and Computer Technology
- Computer Programming with Java and C#
- Electronics Engineering
- Electronics Technology and Advanced Troubleshooting I & II
- Electronics Technology with Digital and Microprocessor Laboratories
- Electronics Technology with FCC License Preparation
- Electronics Technology with Laboratory
- Industrial Electronics with PLC Technology
- Introduction to Computers and Microsoft Office
- Introduction to Home Automation Installation
- Introduction to Photovoltaic Systems
- Wireless and Electronic Communications
Associate's of Applied Science Degrees
- A.A.S. in Computer Information Technology and Systems Management
- A.A.S. in Electronic Engineering Technology
- A.A.S. in Software Engineering
- "Letter from the President"
- "BBB; CIE business management"
- "CIE Accreditation and Approvals"
- "About CIE'
- "CIE, A History of Our Growth"
- "CIE, A Programmed Approach"
- "Courses Offered, Cleveland Institute of Electronics"
- "Course Description Syllabus, World College"
- Official Cleveland Institute of Electronics Website
- CIE Bookstore
- US Department of Education - Accreditation
- World College listing with IAU International Association of Universities UNESCO