||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (November 2013)|
|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Dispersed Data Storage|
|Headquarters||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
Cleversafe, Inc. is a privately held company based in the United States which is developing dispersed storage technology and software. Dispersed storage is a technology that uses erasure codes to split data into multiple slices, each of which is then stored to an independent storage appliance via TCP/IP. Due to properties of erasure codes, the dispersed storage system can tolerate multiple failures of individual storage appliances without losing the ability to recover data.
The company was founded in Chicago, Illinois in 2004 by S. Christopher Gladwin, the President and CEO of Cleversafe. Cleversafe received funding from venture capital firms including NEA, OCA Ventures, Presidio, Motorola Solutions Venture Capital, and Alsop-Louie Partners.
Cleversafe's current software release uses Cauchy-Reed-Solomon as its Information Dispersal Algorithm (IDA) for encoding data into slices. Data may also be optionally processed by any number of provided codecs which can perform operations such as encryption, compression, or adding message authentication. Once the data is fully processed, the slices are distributed via a Cleversafe designed protocol to multiple storage locations; this TCP/IP based protocol may optionally be secured using TLS.
Each storage location (site) typically will house a number of individual storage appliances known as Slicestors. The collection of appliances involved in processing, storing, or managing data is referred to as a dispersed storage network or dsNet in the Cleversafe nomenclature. Data stored in the dsNet is logically isolated into discrete containers called Vaults. Each Vault may have its own separate access controls, quota and data transformation and storage strategy. This technology is an alternative to traditional RAID and replication based storage systems.
A Cleversafe system is composed of several appliances. The dsNet® Manager provides comprehensive operation and maintenance functions. The Accesser® appliance services data requests from applications and performs the IDA calculations as needed, storing and retrieving the “slices” for each data item to and from the Slicestor® storage nodes.
Cleversafe has been the recipient of several awards, including:
- Built in Chicago: Top 100 Digital Companies in Chicago Award 2012
- Built in Chicago: Top 50 Digital Technology Companies in Chicago Award 2011
- Execullence Award for Best Disruptive Technology 2011
- Storage Visions 2009 Conference Professional/Prosumer System Award 
- Chicago Innovation Awards 2008
- Wall Street Journal's 2008 Technology Innovation Award for Software
- 2007 City Lights Newcomer Award
- Horizon Award
- "Cleversafe and Partners Launch the First Commercial Dispersed Storage Network". Reuters. 2008-08-19. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Cleversafe Investor List".
- "Top 100 Digital Companies in Chicago Award". Built in Chicago.
- "Top Digital Companies 2011". Built in Chicago.
- "Execullence Awards". ExecEvent.
- "2009 Storage Visions Conference Announces Storage Visions Award Winners". Business Wire. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- "Chicago Innovation Awards". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Totty, Michael (2008-09-29). "The 2008 Technology Innovation Awards". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "History of the CityLIGHTS Awards". Illinois I.T. Association CityLIGHTS. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Special Report: 10 Cool Cutting-Edge Technologies on the Horizon Now". Computerworld. Retrieved 2008-11-26.