||This article possibly contains original research. (October 2010)|
Clifton (Urdu: کلفٹن ) is an affluent suburb located in the Saddar Town of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. Clifton is one of the localities in Karachi where real estate activity remains on the up despite the overall state of law and order in the city.
There are several ethnic groups in Clifton including , Muhajirs, Sindhis, Punjabis, Kashmiris, Seraikis, Balochs, Memons, pakhtuns, etc. The population of Saddar Town is estimated to be close to one million.
Clifton lies in the southern area of Saddar Town. Clifton has been reputed to be a residential place of the rich and famous people of Karachi since the independence of Pakistan. South of Clifton lies Clifton Beach, Pakistan's most popular beach.
Sites of interest and landmarks
- Dolmen Mall Clifton
- Shrine of Abdullah Shah Ghazi
- Jehangir Kothari Parade (1922), along with the Katrak Bandstand and Lady Lloyd Pier. The Pier enabled people to walk towards the sea, but over the years the sea has retreated.
- Bagh-e-Ibne Qasim
- Ocean's Mall
- Mohatta Palace was the last residence of sisters Fatima Jinnah and Shireen Jinnah. It has now been converted into a museum.
- Constructed in the 1970s, the Do (two) and Teen (three) Talwar (swords) monuments on main Clifton Road are important landmarks.
- Boat Basin Park
- Park Towers
- 70 Clifton is a famous residence, belonging to late Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, President of Pakistan in the early 1970s which was later used as a sub-jail for his daughter Benazir Bhutto, who later became a prime minister of Pakistan in the late eighties and in the mid-nineties for a second time. Mir Murtaza Bhutto, the elder son of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, also lived there and was assassinated near the main gate of 70 Clifton Road in the late 1990s.
- Karachi Grammar School maintains its Kindergarten, Junior and College sections in Clifton.
- Pimley School, a primary and secondary school, is located in Block II, Clifton.
- SZABIST is located in Clifton. It is one of Pakistan's best-known universities and offers a variety of degree programmes.
- The Headquarters of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan is located at Chartered Accountants Avenue, Clifton. While the Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management of Pakistan is situated near the Russian and Chinese Consulates General.
A number of consulates are located in Clifton:
- Deputy High Commission of the United Kingdom
- Consulate of Indonesia
- Honorary Consulate of the Czech Republic
- Consulate-Generals of Germany, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Italy, Russia and China
Clifton is dotted with numerous shopping malls most of which are frequently crowded with shoppers throughout the year.
Located near Teen Talwar, the Gulf Shopping Mall is one of the many famous malls located in the town. It mostly specializes in clothing for women and traditional shoes and bangles. Located right next to it is Uzma Center which also provides and caters the same variety of items. Ashiana shopping mall is located between the KPT underpass and Punjab roundabout and offers the same items as the above mentioned malls. Dolmen City Mall is located near Clifton Beach.
Near Ashiana is The Forum, a recently built modern mall and office building, is a two-storey mall which caters to a small but wealthy percentage of the population due to it housing many international clothing and accessories chains such as NIKE, ADIDAS, DIOR, etc. Park Towers, also known as The Point, is one of the most sophisticated malls of Clifton. Opposite the shrine of Abdullah Shah Ghazi, this mall provides a range of amenities, including brand outlets, international chain restaurants, supermarkets, mobile shops, ice cream parlours and fashion line clothing shops. It has escalators and 2 small capsule elevators. Local brands like Sputnik Footwear, Amir Adnan, Khaadi and English Boot House are also present here.
Karachi Port Trust (KPT) underpass
Another addition on the main Clifton Road is the KPT underpass, which is located between the two monuments mentioned above. The underpass was completed in 2006 with the main purpose of giving drivers a non-stop pass through. It has created several problems:
- No right turns are possible.
- Public transport vehicles cannot access it due to the low height; thus, those using buses or coaches suffer long, circuitous travel routes.
- In the monsoon season, the underpass was often flooded although with the recent addition of better pumps and storm drains in all of Clifton the danger of it flooding has fallen.
Places of worship
The freedom of religious practice enjoyed by different sects in Karachi is demonstrated by the fact that the Ismaili Jamat Khana is located in open view on Khayban-E-Roomi. There is also a rather large Hindu temple at Clifton Promenade that is quite visible due to its large red flag. The temple is also holy to Karachi's Sikh community, which numbers around 2000 to 3000. There are numerous mosques in the area as well.
Clifton has many Chinese restaurants and small businesses owned by the Chinese community in Pakistan. Many Pakistani Chinese families used to live in the PECHS and Tariq Road area but have since moved to the higher end Clifton and Defense areas. Many Chinese restaurants can be found in these areas.
Main areas of Clifton
Shireen Jinnah colony
- Frere Town
- Tikri Colony
- Railway Quarters
- Clifton Blocks 1-9
- Old Clifton
- Reti Lane
- Shah Rasool Colony(Khokhar Muhalla,Larkana Muhalla).
- Punjab Chowrangi