|Motto: "Working for you!"|
Location of Clifton, Tennessee
|• Total||7.0 sq mi (18.0 km2)|
|• Land||6.4 sq mi (16.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
|• Density||420.1/sq mi (162.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1305972|
Clifton is located at (35.382777, -87.992060).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18 km2), of which, 6.4 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it (7.75%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,699 people, 353 households, and 223 families residing in the city. The population density was 420.1 people per square mile (162.3/km²). There were 392 housing units at an average density of 61.0 per square mile (23.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 59.69% White, 39.42% African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.04% Asian, 0.44% from other races, and 0.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.85% of the population.
There were 353 households out of which 26.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.0% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 34.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 7.0% under the age of 18, 13.3% from 18 to 24, 56.2% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 5.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 561.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 684.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,500, and the median income for a family was $35,000. Males had a median income of $36,848 versus $19,318 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,780. About 15.4% of families and 22.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.5% of those under age 18 and 21.3% of those age 65 or over.
- T.S. Stribling a famous writer and lawyer.
This is an incomplete list
- Peoples Bank
- Wayne County Bank
- Chasing Bargains (Variety Store)
- Clifton One Stop (Convenience Store)
- Clifton Hardware
- Clifton Supermarket (Grocery Store)
- Cross-eyed Cricket (Convenience Store)
- Country Girls Truck Stop (Convenience Store and Restaurant)
- Dollar General
- Clifton Mediacl Associates
- Brashier Family Medical Clinic
- Lifespan Health
- Willoughby Drugs
- Advanced Plastics
- American Telephone Exchange
- Clifton Game Room
- Craft Book Binding
- Burns Trucking Company
- ERA Crunk Real Estate
- Bear Inn (Motel)
- American Whirlpool
- Brown Foreman (A Stave Mill)
- Cross Brand Leather
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties, State of Tennessee official website, 14 July 2011. Retrieved: 6 December 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.