Clifton High School (Clifton, Texas)
|Clifton High School|
|1101 N Ave Q
Clifton, Texas, 76634-1029
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Clifton Independent School District|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AA|
|Yearbook||The Old Mill|
|Website||Clifton High School|
Clifton High School (CHS) is a 3A public high school located in Clifton, Texas and is part of the Clifton Independent School District located in southern Bosque County, Texas. In 2013, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
CHS offers extensive dual credit (dual enrollment) course opportunities. Dual credit courses are college courses which provide both high school and college credit. At CHS, these courses are typically offered from University of Texas Permian Basin or Hill College.
The Clifton Cubs and Lady Cubs participate in: Cross Country, Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Powerlifting, Golf, Track, Tennis, Softball & Baseball. The CHS athletic program is currently under the leadership of athletic director and head football coach, Chuck Caniford. The school's teams compete in state championship series tournaments sponsored by the UIL.
UIL District Alignment (2012-2014)
For football, CHS competes in Conference 2A, Division I, Region 3, District 12:
- Clifton High School
- Godley High School
- Grandview High School
- Maypearl High School
- Palmer High School
- Red Oak Life High School
- Whitney High School
For other sports, CHS competes in Conference 2A, Region 3, District 21:
- Bruceville-Eddy High School
- Clifton High School
- Crawford High School
- Hamilton High School
- McGregor High School
- Moody High School
- Troy High School
- In the 1967-1968 season, Clifton lost to Tidehaven (Score: 7-6) in the conference 1A state championship game.
- In 1995, the women's volleyball team lost to Jewett Leon (Scores: 15-9; 15-7) in the conference 2A state semi-finals.
Clifton is home to the "Award Winning" Clifton High School Band. The band is currently under the direction of Keith Zuehlke, Bryan Bronstad, and Jeff White.
Past UIL State Marching Band Competition Rankings:
|2013||7||"state prelims video"|
|2009||2||area finals video|
|2007||4||state finals video|
The CHS band program also boasts the Clifton High School Jazz Band, a big band ensemble that plays at various venues around the region.
CHS offers a variety of extracurricular activities and promotes student involvement. These activities include:
- UIL Academic Competitions
- Theater (One Act Play)
- National Honor Society
- L.I.F.E. (Christian Student Organization)
- Student Council
- Interact (Rotary International)
- Robotics Team
- After winning home football games, each player on the Clifton High School football team takes a turn ringing the victory bell on the north side of Cub Stadium.
- The victory bell on the north side of Cub Stadium is rung by each graduating senior immediately after the graduation ceremony.
- The Clifton High School Fight Song is to the tune of the Notre Dame Victory March. The CHS Fight Song is played frequently at football games, pep-rallies and graduation. Clifton High School does not have words for the CHS Fight Song.
- The Clifton High School Song is an original composition by a Clifton High School student. This song is a slow ballad. With the accompaniment of the CHS band, it is typically sung at all football games and pep-rallies, as well as graduation.
- Clifton High School Song
- Clifton High School we love you
- And your glory we shall sing;
- Memories of you we will cherish
- And praises to you we will bring
- Forever you banner we'll wave
- With pride we'll hold it high;
- We stand by your side Clifton High School
- We'll laud your name to the sky
- And in the books of fame
- In gold we'll write your name;
- We love you, C.H.S.
- The Clifton High School yearbook is called "The Old Mill," named after a historic mill built in Clifton on the Bosque River after the American Civil War.