Clifton Hill railway station
Northbound from Platform 2 in October 2008
|Address||Hoddle Street, Clifton|
|Distance||6.60 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Opened||8 May 1888|
|Station status||Premium station|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
Clifton Hill railway station is located on the South Morang and Hurstbridge lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-eastern Melbourne suburb of Clifton Hill. The station serves as a junction where the two lines separate which is located immediately north of the station.
Clifton Hill railway station opened on the 8th May 1888. The station was damaged by fire in December 1981, although the heritage registered verandah escaped serious damage. The station was renovated in 1990 with a matching verandah built on the western platform. Boom barriers replaced interlocked gates at Ramsden Street level crossing in 1992. It was upgraded to a Premium station on 25 June 1996.
It is listed on the Register of the National Estate. It is an intact example of a Victorian Tudor style suburban railway station and is one of eleven that were originally built in 1887–89. It is the only example that still retains the original corrugated iron wings on either side of the main building. The timber verandah on the eastern platform is also considered architecturally rare. Other features of the complex include two timber-framed gabled roofed signal boxes (built in 1888 and 1901), situated either side of Platform 2, and the original swinging railway gates (now not in use). One signal box was for the operator of the former level crossing gates across Heidelberg Road, replaced by an overpass in 1957. The other signal box serviced the level crossing at Ramsden Street.
Clifton Hill was once part of the Inner Circle Railway. The Hurstbridge line between Clifton Hill and Westgarth was duplicated in 2008/09 and included a bridge over Merri Creek. It was opened by the Premier John Brumby and Transport Minister Lynne Kosky on 27 January 2009.
Platforms & services
Clifton Hil has two side platforms connected by an underpass. Platform 1 contains an enclosed waiting area while platform 2 contains a semi-enclosed waiting area and toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' South Morang and Hurstbridge line services.
- South Morang line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- Hurstbridge line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- South Morang line: all stations services to South Morang
- Hurstbridge line: all stations services to Hurstbridge
Dyson's Bus Services operates two routes via Clifton Hill station:
Transdev Melbourne operates one route via Clifton Hill station:
- Clifton Hill Vicsig
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Historical Society): page 310. October 1997.
- Clifton Hill Railway Station Department of the Environment
- Clifton Hill Railway Station Complex Heritage Victoria
- "First-passenger-trains-on-new-rail-bridge-today". ALP Media Release. Retrieved 2009-01-30.[dead link]
- South Morang Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Hurstbridge Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 504 Clifton Hill - Moonee Ponds timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 546 Heidelberg - Melbourne University timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 246 Elsternwick - La Trobe University timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to Clifton Hill railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons