|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, USA|
Climate One is a branch of The Commonwealth Club of California based in San Francisco, California. It aims to bridge the gap between business leadership and sustainability through discussions about strong action and climate change. Founded in 2007 by Greg Dalton, it is a leading public affairs forum dedicated to the exclusive coverage of energy, environment and the economy.
Vice President of The Commonwealth Club of California, Greg Dalton had worked at the Club for 6 years, holding discussions with a variety of people including former CEO of AT&T Ed Whitacre, Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart, and 9/11 Commissioners Slade Gorton and Richard Ben-Veniste, prior to starting Climate One.
While hosting a global warming symposium sponsored by The Commonwealth Club of California with academic experts and journalists around the Arctic Circle, Dalton decided to form Climate One, a branch of the Club that focuses on sustainability measures.
Speakers and programs
The organization hosts multiple talks throughout the year in the San Francisco office.
Past speakers at Climate One include:
- General Motors CEO Dan Akerson, who announced that GM would withdraw funding for the Heartland Institute.
- Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton
- Climate scientist Dr. James E. Hansen
- Author and activist Laurie David
- Venture Capitalist Vinod Khosla
- Better Place CEO Shai Agassi
- Center for American Progress senior fellow Joe Romm
- Architect William McDonough
- Plug In America founder Marc Geller
- Tesla Vice President of Business Development Diarmuid O’Connell
- California Energy Commission former Commissioner Anthony Eggert
- California EV Strategic Plan Executive Director Diane Wittenberg
- IDEO former partner Ted Howes
- EPRI Director of Electric Transportation and Energy Storage Mark Duvall
- CPUC former Commissioner Dian Grueneich
- UC Berkeley professor Whendee Silver
- Bon Appetit Management Company director Helene York
- Environmental Working Group founder and president Ken Cook
- NRDC energy co-director Ralph Cavanagh
- Western States Petroleum Association president Catherine Reheis-Boyd
- California Manufacturers and Technology Association president Jack Stewart
- Draper Fisher Jurvetson managing director Raj Atluru
- Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
- T2 & Associates president Tom Tanton
- Nth Power founder and managing director Nancy Floyd
- Environmental Entrepreneurs founder Bob Epstein
- California Energy Commission chair Karen Douglas
- BrightSource Energy president and CEO John Woolard
- Apollo Alliance California State coordinator Lisa Hoyos
- NOAA administrator Jane Lubchenco
- White House Council on Environmental Quality chair Nancy Sutley
- U.S. Navy secretary Ray Mabus
- U.S. Representative Edward Markey (D-MA)