Climate Research (journal)
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Clim. Res.|
|Edited by||Mikhail Semenov, Nils Stenseth|
|Publisher||Inter-Research Science Center|
Climate Research is a peer-reviewed scientific journal published by the Inter-Research Science Center that was established in 1990. Its founder was Otto Kinne. Three volumes, each typically containing half a dozen articles, are published each year. Each of its 12 editors therefore handles an average of less than 2 articles a year. Climate Research covers all aspects of the interactions of climate with organisms, ecosystems, and human societies. The journal is also known for its publication in 2003 of a controversial and now discredited climate change article.
Soon and Baliunas controversy
In 2003, a controversial paper written by Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas was published in the journal after being accepted by editor Chris de Freitas. The article reviewed 240 previous papers and concluded that "Across the world, many records reveal that the 20th century is probably not the warmest or a uniquely extreme climatic period of the last millennium". Several of the scientists cited in the paper have since denied this conclusion and have claimed that their data and results had been misrepresented. In response to the handling by the journal publisher of the controversy over the paper's publication, several scientists, including newly appointed editor-in-chief Hans von Storch, resigned from the journal's editorial board.
- "Inter Research » Journals » CR » Information". Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Climate Prediction and Agriculture (CLIMAG)". Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "CR - Vol. 33, No. 1 - Table of contents". December 21, 2006. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "Some Like It Hot". Mother Jones. May/June 2005. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- Soon, Willie; Sallie Baliunas (January 2003). "Proxy climatic and environmental changes of the past 1000 years". Climate Research (Inter-Research Science Center) 23: 89–110. doi:10.3354/cr023089.
- Hoggan, James; Littlemore, Richard (2009). Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming. Greystone Books. pp. 104–5. ISBN 978-1-55365-485-8.
- Monastersky, Richard (September 2003). "Storm Brews Over Global Warming". The Chronicle of Higher Education 50 (2): A16.
- Kinne, Otto (August 2003). "Climate Research: an article unleashed worldwide storms". Climate Research (Inter-Research Science Center) 24: 197–198. doi:10.3354/cr024197.