A clinic escort is a person who volunteers at an abortion clinic to help guide patients and staff into and out of the building. They serve to shield clients from pro-life demonstrators at the site. Escorts in the United States sometimes wear orange vests labelled "clinic escort".
One clinic escort has died as a result of anti-abortion violence. On June 29, 1994, clinic escort James Barrett was shot dead, along with Dr. John Britton, outside of a clinic in Pensacola, Florida by former pastor Paul Jennings Hill. Hill was later sentenced to death.
- "Volunteer Opportunity: Clinic Escort[dead link]." (n.d.). VolunteerMatch.org. Retrieved December 14, 2006.
- Freeman, Jo. (1993). Feminism vs. Family Values Women at the 1992 Democratic and Republican Conventions. In Off Our Backs, pp. 2-3, 10-17. Retrieved December 14, 2006.
- Greenberg, Mary Lou. (Summer 1998). "When 'Pro-Life' Means Death." On the Issues. Retrieved May 31, 2009.
- Sayeau, Ashley. (November 18, 2004). "Southern Ms.." The Nation. Retrieved December 14, 2006.
- NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation. (2006). Clinic violence and intimidation. Retrieved December 14, 2006.
|This abortion-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|