Clint Lowery at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan
|Birth name||Clint Edward Lowery|
|Also known as||Cleetus, Johnny Hollywood, Hello Demons Meet Skeletons|
|Born||December 15, 1971|
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock, alternative metal, nu metal, acoustic music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, drums, bass, keyboards|
|Labels||Warner Bros., 7 Bros.|
|Associated acts||Dark New Day, Sevendust, Still Rain, Korn, Call Me No One|
|PRS SE Clint Lowery|
Clint Lowery (born December 15, 1971) is an American musician and songwriter, best known as the lead guitarist and backing vocalist of the heavy metal band Sevendust. He has also played in Dark New Day and Still Rain and served as the touring guitarist for Korn through most of 2007.
Due to a family emergency, Lowery was forced to leave Korn one month earlier than anticipated, and was replaced by Shane Gibson. He entered the studio in September 2007 to start recording a new album with Dark New Day. On March 26, 2008, it was announced that Clint had rejoined Sevendust, putting the future of Dark New Day and the release of its new album in question.
In September 2008 he wrote and recorded a 6 song EP while off the road with Sevendust for a week. He played every instrument on the cd, which was produced by his brother Corey Lowery. The name of the project was titled Hello Demons Meet Skeletons. The EP, Chills was released in October. He has streamed some video footage of their first performance. He would also later released 2 more EP's with HDMS. Also his fourth EP Choices was released on October 22, 2013.
In February 2009, Lowery stated that it was unlikely that the second Dark New Day album would ever be given an official release. The album had been expected to be released in some form in 2008, however it has yet to be released. However, Lowery later said the album may eventually be released to iTunes. In September 2011, two albums Hail Mary and B-Sides were made available on iTunes only to be taken down a short time later. Eventually, the band rerecorded some of the material and released "New Tradition" in 2012.
Also in the summer of 2012, Clint went on to form the band Call Me No One with Sevendust band mate Morgan Rose. In Call Me No One, Clint sings and plays guitar. Their first album was released on June 5, 2012 titled Last Parade.
- 1 History
- 2 Other works
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Controversy
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Discography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In 1989, Clint Lowery with vocalist Donnie Hamby, guitarist Troy McLawhorn, bassist Corey Lowery and drummer Bevan Davies start a new band called Still Rain. Lowery with the band played everywhere from Daytona to Atlanta to Louisville. Kentucky. Even as far North as Grand Rapids, Michigan at Club Eastbrook. Mixing multiple sets of covers with their own original music. Doing this, they built up quite a big following. After doing this for a few years, they decided to go all original, producing their first Album (they had done tapes before, which sold out quickly) called Still Rain. A second album, Bitter Black Water, soon followed.
After Still Rain, Lowery joined American heavy metal band Sevendust as a lead guitarist. They released their first studio album titled Sevendust in 1997. In 1998 they released a compilation called Live and Loud which featured live footage of the band's September 16, 1998 performance at Chicago's Metro. In 1999, they released their second studio album Home which had four singles and had good chart performance in mainstream and modern rock charts which were better than first album's singles chart. He performed with the band at Woodstock '99 and also they gained European exposure by opening for Skunk Anansie at various shows in Germany. They opened with Kid Rock and Ted Nugent for Metallica on New Year's Eve in 1999 at the Pontiac Silverdome near Detroit, Michigan. They also joined Slipknot, Coal Chamber and other bands on the Tattoo the Earth Tour in June 2000. In 2001, Sevendust released new album Animosity. In 2003, Sevendust returned with their fourth album, Seasons. This was one of the band's best received albums and to-date features their highest charting single (tied with "Driven"), "Enemy", which peaked at #10 on the Mainstream Rock Chart. "Enemy" was also used as the official theme song for "WWE Unforgiven 2003". In 2004, for the first time in the band's career, they released a live album on a CD–DVD double-disk package titled Southside Double-Wide: Acoustic Live. which includes a tribute cover of "Hurt" by ( Nine Inch Nails ). Clint Lowery left Sevendust to join the post-grunge band Dark New Day. However, Lowery returned to Sevendust in the spring of 2008 and recorded 8th album titled Cold Day Memory. "I didn't want to come back and have people say, 'Oh, it's not as good as it was,' " Lowery said. "There was definitely a need to go up another notch, and I hope we did." On September 2012, it was announced that Sevendust would go to studio to record it's ninth album for an early 2013 release. The latest album, Black Out the Sun was released on March 26, 2013.
Dark New Day
On December 11, 2004, after playing a show in Columbus, Ohio, it was announced that Clint Lowery had left the band mid-tour, because he wanted to play with his brother Corey Lowery in his new band Dark New Day, who had reportedly just signed with Warner Bros. records. Guitarist J3, formerly of Tommy Lee, was hired temporarily to fill in for the rest of the dates, and was eventually replaced by Sonny Mayo (from Snot and Amen). On June 14, 2005, the band released their first album, Twelve Year Silence through Warner Bros. Records. The first single from the effort, "Brother", was a surprise hit on active and alternative stations, although the follow-up, "Pieces", did not fare nearly as well. On September 5, 2006, Dark New Day released an EP through iTunes called Black Porch (Acoustic Sessions) that features new tracks "Breakdown" and "Storm" as well as acoustic versions of songs from Twelve Year Silence. The only single that was released was the acoustic version of "Follow The Sun Down". In September 2007, Clint posted on Dark New Day's MySpace page saying that the band returned to the studio to record their next album with producer Dave Bendeth. On February 7, 2009, after months of no word on the album. Clint Lowery posted a blog entry stating the likely possibility that the second album will never be released. He did say that there was a chance of it getting released on iTunes but no word of when. How ever on September 1 via Twitter he posted "Cool, 2 new complete dnd records will be available on iTunes and other digital stores soon. Some real cool unreleased material. Stay tuned!." This was followed by another message by Lowery a day later stating "FYI- Dark new day "hail Mary" and "B-sides" albums should be available next week on iTunes etc. if all goes well. Was a long time coming." Dark New Day albums 'Hail Mary' and 'B-Sides'  are now available on iTunes. He also stated that he didn't know what shape the band was in but that it was most likely on permanent hiatus.
In 2007, Clint toured with Korn as their live guitarist for 8 months until he left in October 2007. Lowery made his debut with the band on March 1, 2007 when the band made its first appearance ever on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno". On March 26, 2008, Clint announced that he had rejoined Sevendust. In a blog stated on the bands' myspace, Will Hunt announced that he would be happy to have Clint join Dark New Day for any shows in the near future during time off.
Hello Demons Meet Skeletons
In September 2008 Lowery wrote and recorded a 6 song EP while off the road with Sevendust for a week. He played every instrument on the cd, which was produced by Corey Lowery at Exocet Studios which the name of the project is title Hello Demons Meet Skeletons.
Hello Demons Meet Skeletons was a phrase used to described what happened to a life when all the demons in someone's life came head to head with the skeletons one can accumulate in life. This project was created to unload the demons and skeletons in Lowery's life. A way to lyrically touch on subjects that needed to be touched on in order to move forward with his life and leave the past behind without completely forgetting it. He wanted to play everything himself and sing everything himself because it's a very personal project. He had time off between tours with Sevendust and thought he would take that time to get this out of his system. The EP Chills has 6 songs. His brother Corey Lowery produced, engineered and mixed it for him. It was released over iTunes on October 12, 2008. As of 2009, Lowrey's side project was remained on hiatus.
Recently he has released a new solo track titled "The Drive" to iTunes. Lowery also released another new solo song titled "Kicking Tree" to iTunes. On May 23, 2010 he released an old song titled "Bitter" to iTunes.
Clint Lowery's new EP titled "Words That Sing Well", which was mixed at Architekt Music in Butler, NJ, was released on April 19 to iTunes and other digital outlets. According to his Twitter page he has started work on new EP that will be released September 1 real simple 4 songs, acoustic guitar and vocals. It's called "Uncomfortable Silence". He said this will be the last HDMS for a while.
According to his personal website, Clint Lowery stated, he will go to studio to record 6 acoustic songs on July 1, 2013. On June 6, he said that this will be the last record under name of Hello Demons Meet Skeletons and he wants to end this musical project. The EP is recorded at Architekt Music studios in Butler, New Jersey. According to Lowery's Twitter, title of new EP is "Choices" and it is going to be released on October 22, 2013.
Call Me No One
Clint Lowery and Morgan Rose have launched a brand new project called Call Me No One. They started recording their debut album in the middle of January for a late spring release. They have titled their debut album Last Parade. The album is planned for a June 5 release, with the first single "Biggest Fan" came out in April. Last Parade was recorded and mixed at Architekt Music in Butler, NJ. The band have announced the first dates for their upcoming tour and will be start in July. The band recently released Thunderbird as second single of debut album Last Parade. Clint Lowery was asked about future of the band, then he stated "it's time to put CMNO on a small hold to do the new 7dust record in Sept after a much needed break of course."
"Angel's Son" is a song written by Lajon Witherspoon and Clint Lowery and performed by Witherspoon, Lowery and fellow Sevendust member (drummer Morgan Rose and ex-Snot band member (now ex-Sevendust guitarist) Sonny Mayo, for the post-mortem compilation CD in honor of James Lynn Strait known as Strait Up. This was the only single track from the tribute album. Subsequently, a studio version of the song was produced by Sevendust for the closing track to their 2001 album, Animosity.
- Strait Up
- The Strait Up version features the band with ex-Snot bandmates playing on a beach around a camp fire. Footage of James Lynn Strait from the band Snot who died with his dog Dobbs in a car accident is superimposed during a vigil around the campfire, growing in attendance with appearances of fellow musicians including System of a Down, Coal Chamber, Sugar Ray, Kittie, Incubus, Korn and others to say goodbye to their friend as a memorium title is revealed at the last few moments of the song.
A Song for Chi
An all-star lineup included Korn bassist Reginald "Fieldy" Arvizu, drummer Ray Luzier, former guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, Slipknot guitarist Jim Root, and Sevendust's Clint Lowery have banded together and recorded an instrumental song to benefit Deftones bassist Chi Cheng who was injured in a car accident in November 2008, and died on 13 April 2013 when his heart stopped.
Clint Lowery plans to offer online guitar lessons via Skype. The lessons go over scales, improvisation, songwriting, and soloing.
In 2012 and 2013, Clint produced new releases for the bands Dead Fish Handshake, Novus Dae, Statik Silence, Annandale, The Farthest Edge, and Digital Collapse, all at Architekt Music in Butler, New Jersey. Clint Lowery will be the featured co-songwriter on four songs on the forthcoming sophomore album from the Massachusetts based band Half Past My Sin. Clint Lowery also is recruited for recording new 3 Years Hollow album.
Clint has two brothers, Corey and Dustin, who have played in different bands over the years. All went to Douglas Byrd High School in Fayetteville, NC. Clint Lowery married Tara Jenkins in St. Louis, Missouri on September 2010. They have a son, Harper, in December 2010 and a daughter, Evie, in March 2013. His father Willie Lowery was a musician and an advocate for the Lumbee tribe. He died in 2012.
In an interview with MusicRadar Clint Lowery mentioned that his first guitar was an Aria Pro II and he was twelve years old when he bought it. Lowery then added that he was a drummer first, and then he started playing acoustic guitar.
Clint Lowery was arrested on July 5, 2007 at the Hodokvas Festival in Piestany, Slovakia during Korn tour after a "wild, drunken night" at the event, which ended with the guitarist trashing his room. Lowery was released the following afternoon from police custody after apologizing and paying for the damages.
Clint's current live setup:
- PRS SE Clint Lowery
- PRS Custom 22 guitars (has a black PRS nicknamed "Bruce Lee")
- PRS Singlecuts (Has a custom seven string Singlecut made for him while performing with Korn)
- Yamaha LJX6C acoustic
- L Series Handcrafted Guitar
- 2x EVH 5150III Heads (white)
- 2x EVH 5150III Cabs (white)
- Diamond Phantom 100watt amplifier heads (x2) (No longer used live)
- Diamond 4x12 cabinets (No longer used live)
- Mesa Boogie Mark IV
- Hughes & Ketner (during Dark New Day)
- GCX Ground Control and Audio Switcher
- MXR Phase 90
- TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay pedal
- Dunlop Wah pedal
- Electro Harmonix Effects
- TC Electronic G-Force
- Furman AC Line Regulator
- Digitech Whammy
- Dimarzio Clip Lock Strap (black)
On September 2012, PRS said that the new SE Clint Lowery guitar is designed for metal and hard-rock players with attitude, and with an adjustable stoptail and 25 ½" scale length, it is perfect for dropped-tuning. In fact, at Clint's request, the SE Clint Lowery ships tuned to C#/drop "B"[C# G# E B F# B].
The SE Clint Lowery comes in opaque black with white binding on the body, neck, and headstock. It also features a new and exclusive inlay pattern and body shape as well as black nickel hardware for a distinct look.
The SE Clint Lowery features a beveled mahogany body with white binding on the body, neck, and headstock, 24-fret, 25 ½" scale length mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and Clint Lowery designed inlays, PRS Designed SE adjustable stoptail bridge and tuners, black nickel hardware, String Gauges: 11, 18, 22p, 32, 44, 56 tuned to C#/drop "B": C#, G#, E, B, F#, B. The guitar has a wide fat neck profile and comes equipped with SE HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups with one volume and push/pull tone control with 3-way toggle switch.
- Still Rain
- Bitter Black Water
- Sevendust (April 15, 1997)
- Home (August 24, 1999)
- Animosity (November 13, 2001)
- Seasons (October 7, 2003)
- Cold Day Memory (April 20, 2010)
- Black Out the Sun (March 26, 2013)
- Time Travelers & Bonfires (April 15, 2014)
Dark New Day
- Twelve Year Silence (June 14, 2005)
- Black Porch (Acoustic Sessions) (EP) (September 5, 2006)
- New Tradition (February 28, 2012)
- Hail Mary (February 19, 2013)
Hello Demons..meet skeletons
- Chills EP (October 12, 2008)
- Words That Sing Well EP (April 19, 2011)
- Uncomfortable Silence EP (August 22, 2011)
- Choices EP (October 22, 2013)
Call Me No One
- Last Parade (June 5, 2012)
- Digital Summer - Breaking Point - Guitar on "Forget You"
- Brookroyal - Jump - Guitar on "Jump"
- Three Years Hollow - The Cracks - Guitar on "The Cracks"
- Statik Silence - "Killer Instinct" - Acoustic Guitar on "Killer Instinct"
- "Sevendust's Clint Lowery Says Dark New Day's Future 'Doesn't Look Good'". Blabbermouth. Feb 7, 2009.
- "Dark New Day to release previously unreleased second album Hail Mary and b-sides album next week". EspyRock. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Sevendust’s Clint Lowery talks about his side projects, new signature axe". Mywesttexas.com. Aug 17, 2013.
- "Rockers welcome back guitarist Clint Lowery, who takes songwriting lead" Thesunchronicle.com. Retrieved on August 26, 2011.
- "Sevendust Begins Recording New Album | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Twitter / ClintElowery: FYI- Dark new day "hail Mary"". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Twitter / ClintElowery: Cool, 2 new complete dnd records". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Connecting to the iTunes Store". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Blabbermouth.Net - CLINT LOWERY Arrested In Slovakia". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Sevendust Guitarist Releases New Track To iTunes | tunelab™". Tunelab.com. 2010-05-03. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "New Clint Lowery Solo Track Available | tunelab™". Tunelab.com. 2010-05-13. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "New Hello Demons… Meet Skeletons EP Due In April | tunelab™". Tunelab.com. 2011-03-18. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "SEVENDUST Guitarist To Record New HELLO DEMONS MEET SKELETONS EP | blabbermouth™". Blabbermouth.com. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SEVENDUST Members Launch CALL ME NO ONE Project". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Sevendust Members Form New Band Call Me No One | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Sevendust Members Form New Band (a top story)::Sevendus News". antiMusic.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Call Me No One Title Debut Album :: Rock Access – Rock News". Rockaccess.net. 2012-03-06. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SEVENDUST Members To Release CALL ME NO ONE Debut In June". Legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Call Me No One To Tour With Nonpoint, Eye Empire :: Rock Access – Rock News". Rockaccess.net. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Strait Up listing on Amazon
- "Clint Lowery to Offer Online Guitar Lessons" Tunelab.com. Retrieved on June 26, 2010.
- [dead link]
- "Twitter / ClintElowery: Been a good day- finishing". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "SEVENDUST Guitarist To Guest On HALF PAST MY SIN Album". Blabbermouth.Net. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "KM2 Shoes, Shoes to Live in.: Tara and Clint Lowery Wedding September 2010 : photos by www.larryperez.com". Km2shoeblog.blogspot.com. 2010-09-21. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Hasty, Kim (May 27, 2012). "Sunday Salute: Willie French Lowery's musical legacy stretches far". Fayettville Observer. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Rose, Joel (July 21, 2012). "A Tribal Anthem's Author — And A Cult Rock Hero". NPR Music Radio. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Sevendust’s Clint Lowery and His Dark New Day Bandmate Corey Lowery Mourn Loss of Father". Loudwire.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Famous firsts: Sevendust's Clint Lowery". Musicradar.com. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Blabbermouth.Net - KORN Session Guitarist CLINT LOWERY Arrested In Slovakia". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Clint Lowery on Yamaha" Yamaha.com. Retrieved on July 10, 2009.
- "Clint Lowery Signature guitar, PRS says that the new guitar is designed for metal and hard-rock players with attitude - Sonic State Amped". Sonicstate.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "SE Clint Lowery". PRS Guitars. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "PRS Guitars' Sixth Annual Experience PRS Event: New Models, A-List Artists, and Sports Cars". GuitarInternational.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "PRS Introduces SE Clint Lowery Guitar". Guitar World. 2012-09-14. Retrieved 2013-03-25.