Hickman County Courthouse in Clinton, Kentucky
Location of Clinton, Kentucky
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.3 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Total||1,388 |
|• Density||322.8/sq mi (867.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||270 & 364|
|GNIS feature ID||0489694|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,415 people, 579 households, and 354 families residing in the city. The population density was 858.5 people per square mile (331.1/km²). There were 668 housing units at an average density of 405.3 per square mile (156.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 70.46% White, 27.14% African American, 0.49% Native American, and 1.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.55% of the population.
There were 579 households out of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.9% were married couples living together, 19.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.7% were non-families. 36.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.8% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 24.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 72.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 66.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,875, and the median income for a family was $27,847. Males had a median income of $29,375 versus $16,786 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,236. About 26.8% of families and 31.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 51.3% of those under age 18 and 21.4% of those age 65 or over.
A Federal Courthouse for the Western District of Kentucky is located in Clinton.
- Rennick, Robert. Kentucky Place Names, p. 61. University Press of Kentucky (Lexington), 1987. Accessed 24 Jul 2013.
- Collins, Lewis (1877). History of Kentucky. p. 342.
- Blair, R. Charles (1992). "Clinton College". In John E. Kleber. The Kentucky Encyclopedia. Lexington, Kentucky: University Press of Kentucky. p. 208. ISBN 0-8131-1772-0.
- Lewis, Alvin Fayette (1899). "Clinton College, Clinton". History of Higher Education in Kentucky. Johns Hopkins University. pp. 210–214. Retrieved 4 April 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.