Clinton Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Clinton Township, Ohio|
Location of Clinton Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (4 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||886 ft (270 m)|
|• Density||2,900/sq mi (1,100/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086100|
Name and history
Clinton Township was settled in 1800 as a rural community. At one time, a circus, the Sell's Brother's Circus, operated in what today is the area of University View. In the eastern part of the township, what is now Cleveland Avenue was once known as Harbor Street. Clinton Township lost territory from the 1950s through the early 1970s via annexation.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for County Subdivisions". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Household Counts for Governmental Units: 2010, 2000, 1990". Ohio Department of Development. August 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "About Clinton Township". Clinton Township local government. Retrieved 2006-06-08.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.