|• Total||10.1 sq mi (26.1 km2)|
|• Land||10.1 sq mi (26.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||525 ft (160 m)|
|• Density||139/sq mi (53.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0157921|
Clio is a city in Barbour County, Alabama, United States. The population was 1,399 at the 2010 census, down from 2,206 at the 2000 census, at which time it was a town. It is the birthplace of former Alabama governor George C. Wallace, as well as Baseball Hall of Famer and current Atlanta Braves broadcaster, Don Sutton.
Clio is located in southwestern Barbour County at (31.709922, -85.606708).
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,206 people, 434 households, and 278 families residing in the town. The population density was 219.4 people per square mile (84.7/km2). There were 527 housing units at an average density of 52.4 per square mile (20.2/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 57.21% Black or African American, 37.31% White, 1.22% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 2.09% from other races, and 1.81% from two or more races. 3.31% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 434 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.2% were married couples living together, 20.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.9% were non-families. 32.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the town the population was spread out with 12.1% under the age of 18, 14.2% from 18 to 24, 44.8% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 7.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 296.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 347.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $17,417, and the median income for a family was $23,594. Males had a median income of $24,500 versus $18,021 for females. The per capita income for the town was $6,296. About 30.3% of families and 40.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 54.3% of those under age 18 and 39.0% of those age 65 or over.
- George Corley Wallace, b. August 25, 1919, d. September 13, 1998. Four-term Governor of Alabama and four-time candidate for U.S. President.
- Donald Howard (Don) Sutton, b. April 2, 1945. Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Elton Bryson Stephens, b. August 4, 1911 d. February 5, 2005. Founder of EBSCO Industries.
Points of interest
- The Clio Museum of Moonshine has a small exhibition about the city's history.
- Blue Springs State Park
Clio Post Office (ZIP Code: 36017)
- U.S. Census change list
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Clio city, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.