Clive L. N. Ruggles (born 1952) is a British astronomer, archaeologist and academic, regarded as one of the leading figures in the field of archaeoastronomy and the author of numerous academic and popular works on the subject. As of 2009[update] Ruggles is Emeritus Professor of Archaeoastronomy at the School of Archaeology and Ancient History, University of Leicester. Ruggles has held the post since it was created in 1999, when it is believed to have been the only appointed Chair for archaeoastronomy among the world's universities. He concurrently also holds the posts of President of the Prehistoric Society, President of the IAU Commission for the History of Astronomy, and is the Chair for the IAU World Heritage and Astronomy Working Group, and was formerly the President of the International Society for Archaeoastronomy and Astronomy in Culture.
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- Adler Planetarium (11 March 2002). "Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum Offers In-Depth Archaeoastronomy with Dr. Clive Ruggles and Bringing the Heavens to Earth Exhibit" (Press release). Press Room Archive. Adler Planetarium. Retrieved 2009-03-27.[dead link]
- Aveni, Anthony F. (1994). "Archaeoastronomy". In Samuel L. Macey (ed.). Encyclopedia of Time. Garland reference library of social science, vol. 810. New York: Garland Publishing. pp. 26–35. ISBN 0-8153-0615-6. OCLC 29428245.
- Aveni, Anthony F. (2001). Skywatchers (Rev. and updated edn. of: Skywatchers of Ancient Mexico, 1980 ed.). Austin: University of Texas Press. ISBN 0-292-70504-2. OCLC 45195586.
- Center for Archaeoastronomy (n.d.). "About the Officers". About the Center for Archaeoastronomy. Center for Archaeoastronomy. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- Kelley, David H.; Eugene F. Milone (2005). Exploring Ancient Skies: An Encyclopedic Survey of Archaeoastronomy. New York: Springer. ISBN 0-387-95310-8. OCLC 46937593.
- Ruggles, Clive L.N. (1994). "British archaeoastronomy". In Samuel L. Macey (ed.). Encyclopedia of Time. Garland reference library of social science, vol. 810. New York: Garland Publishing. pp. 68–70. ISBN 0-8153-0615-6. OCLC 29428245.
- University of Leicester Press and Publications Office (1 March 2007). "The Thirteen Towers: Peruvian Citadel is Site of Earliest Ancient Solar Observatory in the Americas" (Press release). eBulletin. University of Leicester. Retrieved 2009-03-27.