Launched in 1967, it is the first gel toothpaste in the world. In 2003, Unilever sold the exclusive licensing rights of Close-Up in United States and Canada to Church & Dwight. This sale did not affect the brand in other countries, like India where Unilever and its subsidiaries continue marketing Close-Up. The brand is positioned to target the youth segment with a lifestyle appeal in its advertising campaigns.
- "Colgate and Unilever battle in India with the same smile". The Financial Express. 21 April 1999. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "A unique oral care brand for up-close situations". Unileverme.com. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Unilever sells oral healthcare lines". Cnn.com. 10 September 2003. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Unilever N America Plan Not To Hit Indian Oral Care Biz". The Financial Express. 12 September 2003. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Krishnamurthy, Sandeep (2006). Contemporary research in e-marketing, Volume 2. Idea Group Inc (IGI). p. 317. ISBN 1591408245.