Clotilde, Princess of Venice and Piedmont
Princess Clotilde at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival
3 April 1969 |
|Occupation||Film Actress; Princess-in-exile (Royal Highness)|
|Spouse(s)||Emanuele Filiberto, Prince of Venice and Piedmont|
|Children||Princess Vittoria of Savoy
Princess Luisa of Savoy
Catherine du Pontavice des Renardières
|Italian Royal Family|
Princess Clotilde of Savoy, Princess of Venice and Piedmont (née Clotilde Marie Pascale Courau; 3 April 1969) is a French actress, the wife of Emanuele Filiberto, Prince of Venice and Piedmont, a member of the House of Savoy and the grandson of Umberto II, the last King of Italy. Professionally, she is known by her maiden name.
Clotilde Courau was born on 3 April 1969 in Levallois-Perret, Hauts-de-Seine, France, the daughter of Jean-Claude Courau (b. 1942) and Catherine du Pontavice des Renardières (b. 1948). She has three sisters named Christiane, Camille, and Capucine Courau.
Clotilde was brought up in the Roman Catholic religion.
In 1991, Clotilde was nominated for a César, for Most Promising Actress (Meilleur espoir féminin), and won an European Film Award for Best Actress, both for the film Le petit criminel (1990). In 1995, she won the Prix Suzanne Bianchetti at the SACD Awards. She was nominated again for a César twice in 1996 for Best Supporting Actress (Meilleur second rôle féminin) and Most Promising Actress (Meilleur espoir féminin) both for the film Élisa. In 1998 she was named as one of European cinema's Shooting Stars by European Film Promotion and in 2000 she won the Prix Romy Schneider. She was also created a Dame of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres of France on 7 February 2007.
Clotilde Courau announced her engagement on 10 July, and on 25 September 2003 at the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri in Rome, she married Prince Emanuele Filiberto Umberto Reza Rene Maria of Savoy, the Prince of Venice and Piedmont. At the ceremony she wore a wedding gown designed by Valentino. Six months pregnant at the time of the wedding, she was seen as a controversial royal bride because of her left-wing views.
The couple have two daughters:
- Princess Vittoria of Savoy, born on 29 December 2003.
- Princess Luisa of Savoy, born on 16 August 2006.
After her marriage Clotilde became Princess Clotilde of Savoy, the Princess of Venice & Piedmont (Italian: Principessa Clotilde di Savoia, Principessa di Venezia e Piemonte). Although the titles and distinctions of the Italian royal family have been abolished, she is referred to by courtesy, as Princess of Savoy, Princess of Venice and Piedmont.
Although not a member of a ruling royal house, Princess Clotilde and her husband are regularly guests at royal events such as the wedding of Albert II and Charlene, Princes of Monaco, and the wedding of Guillaume and Stephanie, Hereditary Grand Dukes of Luxembourg.
- Civilisations (1988) (TV mini-series) - Elyssa
- Le petit criminel - (1990) - The sister, Nathalie (Stéphanie)
- Polski Crash - (1993) - Alina Suchecka
- Map of the Human Heart - (1993) - Rainee
- The Pickle - (1993) - Françoise
- Ugly Meets the People - (1995) - Girl
- Tom est tout seul - (1995) - Marion
- Élisa - (1995) - Solange
- La fidèle infidèle (1995) (TV) - Cécile
- L'Appât - (1995) - Patricia
- Les Grands Ducs - (1996) - Juliette
- Une leçon particulière (1997) (TV) - Julie
- Fred - (1997) - Lisa
- Marthe - (1997) - Marthe
- Bob le magnifique (1998) (TV) - Christine / Christina
- Hors jeu - (1998) - Clotilde Courau
- Le poulpe - (1998) - Cheryl
- Milk (1999) - Ilaria
- Deterrence (1999) - Katie
- En face - (2000) - Michelle
- La parenthèse enchantée - (2000) - Alice
- Promenons-nous dans les bois - (2000) - Sophie
- Exit - (2000) - Pearl / The journalist
- Le nouveau Jean-Claude - (2002) - Marianna
- Embrassez qui vous voudrez - (2002) - Julie
- Un monde presque paisible - (2002) - Simone
- La mentale - (2002) - Nina
- Mon idole - (2002) - Fabienne
- Les beaux jours (2003) (TV) - Gaby
- Nuit noire, 17 octobre 1961 (2005) (TV) - Sabine
- La signora delle camelie (2005) (TV) - ....
- Mafalda di Savoia (2006) (TV mini-series) - Giovanna di Savoia
- La Vie en Rose (2007) - Anetta
- Modern Love (2008) - Marie
- Chez Maupassant (1 episode, 2008, TV episode La chambre 11) - Clarisse / Marguerite
- Des mots d'amour aka Words of Love (Canada, English title) (2009) (TV) - Alice Andrézy
- Babysitting (2014) - Mme. Schaudel
- Dame of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (07/02/2007).
- Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Danilo I.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clotilde Courau.|