Cloud-based integration (also known as integration platform as a service or IPaaS) is a form of systems integration delivered as a cloud service that addresses data, process, service-oriented architecture(SOA) and application integration use cases.
Prior to the emergence of cloud computing, integration could be categorized as either internal or business to business (B2B). Internal integration requirements were serviced through an on-premises middleware platform and typically utilized a service bus to manage exchange of data between systems. B2B integration was serviced through EDI gateways or value-added network (VAN). The advent of SaaS applications created a new kind of demand which was met through cloud-based integration. Since their emergence, many such services have also developed the capability to integrate legacy or on-premises applications, as well as function as EDI gateways.
While the features regarded as essential in order to classify a cloud-based integration service as such are debated, the following are commonly accepted:
- Deployed on a multi-tenant, elastic cloud infrastructure
- Subscription model pricing (opex, not capex)
- No software development (required connectors should already be available)
- Users do not perform deployment or manage the platform itself
- Presence of integration management & monitoring features
Following is a list of significant industry players.
- Authentica Solution's DataSense Infusion
- AppPoint AppsonAzure CollabBridge
- Bizlynq
- coactions.com Cloud Platform
- Dell Boomi AtomSphere
- Fusion Communications
- Greenbird Metercloud
- Hubspan Business Integration Platform
- IBM WebSphere Cast Iron Live
- Informatica Cloud Services
- Jitterbit Cloud
- Microsoft Azure BizTalk Services
- MuleSoft CloudHub
- Pervasive Data Integrator v10 Cloud Edition
- Procserve
- SAP Hana Cloud Integration
- SKYVVA Integration Suite
- SnapLogic Elastic Integration
- Software AG
- TIBCO Cloud Bus
- TerraSky SkyOnDemand
- Vigience Overcast Suite
- WS02 StratosLive
- Gartner; Massimo Pezzini; Paolo Malinverno; Eric Thoo. "Gartner Reference Model for Integration PaaS". Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Stefan Reid. "B2B meets cloud based integration (CBI)". Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Gartner Who's Who in Integration Platform as a Service, Aug 2013".
- "Gartner Platform as a Service: Definition, Taxonomy and Vendor Landscape, 2012". p. 19.