Clwyd South (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Clwyd South in Wales.
|Electorate||54,895 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Rhosllannerchrugog, Llangollen|
|Member of parliament||Susan Jones (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Clwyd South West, Wrexham|
|Welsh Assembly||North Wales|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
Clwyd South (De Clwyd in Welsh) is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (Westminster). The constituency was created in 1997, and it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post method of election.
The Clwyd South Welsh Assembly constituency was created with the same boundaries in 1999.
The constituency straddles the authorities of Denbighshire and Wrexham. Main population centres includes Rhosllanerchrugog, Cefn-mawr, and Coedpoeth on the outskirts of Wrexham, and Llangollen and Corwen further up the Dee valley to the west. Until the 2010 election, the constituency used to include a small part of the preserved county of Powys. This anomaly was resolved by the Boundary Commission for Wales with the boundaries first used in 2010.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Clwyd South |
|Plaid Cymru||Mabon ap Gwynfor |
|UKIP||Mandy Jones |
|Labour||Susan Jones |
|Conservative||David Nicholls |
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Roberts |
|General Election 2010: Clwyd South|
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Roberts||5,965||17.2||+1.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Janet Ryder||3,009||8.7||-0.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Clwyd South|
|Liberal Democrat||Deric Burnham||5,105||15.5||+5.3|
|Plaid Cymru||Mark Strong||3,111||9.4||-2.5|
|Forward Wales||Alwyn Humphreys||803||2.4||+2.4|
|General Election 2001: Clwyd South|
|Plaid Cymru||Dyfed Edwards||3,982||11.9||+5.5|
|Liberal Democrat||David Griffiths||3,426||10.2||+0.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Clwyd South|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Chadwick||3,684||9.4||-1.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Gareth V. Williams||2,500||6.3||-1.6|
|Referendum Party||Alex Lewis||1,207||3.1||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "List of selected candidates". UK Independence Party. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "David Nicholls PPC page". Conservative Party (UK). Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "List of selected candidates". Liberal Democrats. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Clwyd South Wrexham CBC - Clwyd South candidates
- Clwyd South BBC Election -Clwyd South
|This article relating to a constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or its predecessors is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|