Gates with the Dolphins in 2011
|No. -- Tennessee Titans|
|Date of birth:||June 13, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Vernon, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||197 lb (89 kg)|
|High school:||Vernon (TX)|
|NFL draft:||2011 / Round: 4 / Pick: 111|
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Edmond Darell "Clyde" Gates (born June 13, 1986) is an American football wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL). Gates was drafted by the Miami Dolphins as the 111th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. He is the cousin of running backs Bernard Scott and Daryl Richardson.
Gates had a rough childhood, growing up in a troubled neighborhood with his father serving 18 years in prison for murder. He intended on playing in the NBA after earning a scholarship to play basketball at Tyler Junior College in Texas. He was asked not to return for a second season; however, which led him to find a new future. He was recruited by Abilene Christian to play football in 2007.
As a freshmen in 2007, played in 11 games finishing with 12 catches for 285 yards and 1 touchdown. He also carried the ball 14 times for 189 yards and 4 more scores. He had 876 all-purpose yards in 2007. Gates finished his sophomore year playing 10 games, missing two games due to a leg injury early in the season, resulting in 31 catches for 716 yards and 8 touchdowns. His Junior year earned him the "top receiver for the Wildcats" with 702 yards with 5 touchdown, averaging 14.3 yards per catch. Upon entering the 2011 NFL draft, he was selected in the 4th round with the 111th pick by the Miami Dolphins.
Gates scored his first touchdown in the Dolphins first preseason game on August 12, 2011 vs Atlanta.
Gates was released by the Dolphins on August 31, 2012.
New York Jets
- "Gates Pro Football Reference Profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- NFL Draft Scout profile
- ACU Player Profile
- Jets Media Relations Department (1 September 2012). "Jets Announce Roster, Practice Squad Moves". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 1 September 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Allen, Eric (15 October 2013). "Josh Cribbs Signs, Greg Salas Agrees to Join Active Roster". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Lange, Randy (August 30, 2014). "Jets Make Final Cuts to Get to 53". New York Jets. Archived from the original on August 30, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Wilkening, Mike (January 14, 2015). "Titans agree with Jacoby Ford, Clyde Gates on reserve/future contracts". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2015-01-18.