|Adult Flax Tortrix (C. asseclana)
at Commanster (Belgian Ardennes)
sensu Haworth,  (see text)
Numerous, see text
Taxonomy and systematics
The type species around which Cnephasia was established by J. Curtis in 1826 (in the explanations to plate 100 of his British Entomology) was claimed to be "Tortrix logiana". However, this was a misidentification; the name of T. logiana (described by C.A. Clerck in 1759 and nowadays called Acleris logiana) was until the early 20th century frequently applied to related species in error.
Curtis simply repeated the mistake of A.H. Haworth, who had in his 1811 volume of Lepidoptera Britannica discussed a Cnephasia under Clerck's name, but the original misidentification may well go back to Linnaeus' treatment of "T. logiana" in Systema naturae. Eventually, this was resolved, and the type species of Cnephasia was determined to be the tortrix moth described as Olethreutes pasiuana by J. Hübner in 1822.
- Anoplocnephasia Réal, 1953
- Brachycnephasia Réal, 1953
- Chephasia (lapsus)
- Cnephasianella (lapsus)
- Cnephasiella Adamczewski, 1936
- Cnephosia (lapsus)
- Hypostephanuncia Réal, 1951
- Hypostephanuntia (lapsus)
- Sciaphila Treitschke in Ochsenheimer, 1829
Hypostephanuncia is sometimes listed as a junior synonym of the closely related genus Eana, but its type species is C. ecullyana. Whether the monotypic Sphaleroptera is a distinct and valid genus or merely a specialized offshoot of Cnephasia is not yet resolved; some authors include it here, while others don't.
- Baixeras et al. (2009a)
- Curtis, , Baixeras et al. (2009a), and see references in Savela (2010)
- Curtis, , Razowski (1998): 243
- Baixeras et al. (2009b)
- Baixeras et al. (2009a), and see references in Savela (2005a)
- Baixeras et al. (2009a), and see references in Savela (2005a,b)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cnephasia.|
- Baixeras, J.; Brown, J.W. & Gilligan, T.M. (2009a): Online World Catalogue of the Tortricidae – Cnephasia genus account. Version 1.3.1. Retrieved 2009-JAN-20.
- Baixeras, J.; Brown, J.W. & Gilligan, T.M. (2009b): Online World Catalogue of the Tortricidae – Cnephasia species list. Version 1.3.1. Retrieved 2009-JAN-20.
- Curtis, John : [Genus Cnephasia]. In: British Entomology, being illustrations and descriptions of the genera of insects found in Great Britain and Ireland, etc. 6(100): 1-2. E. Ellis & Co., London. Fulltext at the Internet Archive
- Razowski, Józef (1998): The genera of Tortricidae. Part III. Nearctic Chlidanotinae and Tortricidae. Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia 41(2): 227-281. Fulltext at Google Books
- Savela, Markku (2005a): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Cnephasia. Version of 2005-SEP-14. Retrieved 2010-APR-14.
- Savela, Markku (2005b): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Eana. Version of 2005-SEP-14. Retrieved 2010-APR-14.
- Savela, Markku (2010): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Acleris logiana. Version of 2010-FEB-19. Retrieved 2010-APR-14.