Coal Township, Jackson County, Ohio
|Coal Township, Ohio|
Map of Jackson County with municipalities and townships
|• Total||19.4 sq mi (50.2 km2)|
|• Land||19.4 sq mi (50.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||778 ft (237 m)|
|• Density||107.2/sq mi (41.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086364|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township: north
- Milton Township: east
- Lick Township: south
- Liberty Township: southwest
- Jackson Township: northwest
Of the three Jackson County townships that do not border another county (Franklin, Lick, and Coal), Coal Township is the farthest north.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Coal Township is located in Perry County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jackson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 13 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.